Did you know that the Mad Hatter, that zany, slightly off-kilter character from Alice in Wonderland, has his very own holiday? Well, he does, and it just happens to be today! I think you all know what an Alice in Wonderland freak I am, so it should come as no surprise that I’m celebrating this awesome holiday! Perhaps I’ll even convince the little man to break out his Mad Hatter Costume and do the Futterwacken dance again!
What is Mad Hatter Day?
I think it’s pretty obvious, don’t you? It’s a day to celebrate being insane! Okay, maybe not insane, but it’s definitely a day to celebrate the sillier side of life. Let go of everything that screams “I’m a sane person, really, I am!” I mean, honestly, none of us are totally normal, right? Normalcy is dreadfully boring, after all. Sadly, we live in a society that expects us to act within the confines of what it defines as “reasonable behavior,” and don’t spend enough time just being goofy.Why is Mad Hatter Day celebrated on October 6th? This one’s easy! Just look a the Hatter’s hat. The label on it reads 10/6.
Fun Ways to Celebrate Mad Hatter Day
Mad Hatter Day is about doing the unexpected. Consider it a more extravagant version of “opposite day.” A few fun activities include:
- Have a picnic indoors. In fact, have it in your child’s bedroom, or some other place where they rarely eat.
- Wear your clothes inside out, or your undies on the outside!
- Eat breakfast for dinner, and dinner for breakfast. Eat dessert first too!
- Have an Alice in Wonderland marathon. There are enough versions to last the whole day.
- Speak in riddles or nonsensical words all day long…or until you drive each other batty!
- Have a Mad tea Party. Every few minutes, shout “clean cup, clean cup! Move down!”
- Have a scavenger hunt for things that begin with the letter “M”
- For hardcore Alice in Wonderland fans, play “finish the Mad Hatter quote.” Need some help? Check out a few of my favorites!
Quotes for Mad Hatter Day Fun
There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter.
You used to be much more…”muchier.” You’ve lost your muchness.
Have you any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?
The Mad Hatter: Speaking of the Queen, here’s a little song we used to sing in her honor:
The Mad Hatter, Dormouse, The March Hare: “Twinkle twinkle little bat, how I wonder where you’re at. Up…”
Stayne – Knave of Hearts: [Wraps arm around Hatter’s throat] If you’re hiding her you’ll lose your heads.
The Mad Hatter: *Already lost them.* All together now!
The Mad Hatter, Dormouse, The March Hare: “Up above the world you fly, like a tea tray in the sky. Twinkle twinkle…”
Alice Kingsley: This is impossible.
Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.