Do you love having a sparkling clean house but despise the overpowering harsh chemical smell that goes along with it? I have always been sensitive to cleaning products that contain ammonia, bleach and other chemicals. Perhaps such cleaners have their place in the world. As I try more natural cleaners, though, I’m realizing that place isn’t in my home. Read on for some super easy ways to green your routine and boost your spring cleaning with essential oils!
Years ago, I started doing research into how essential oils can help us in our everyday lives. This was long before they were popular and found in so many products. I used to mix my own oils to create perfumes, preferring those over the store-bought scents. Over the years, as my research expanded, I started including them in other things. Body lotion, bath salts and even my own headache remedies! Back then, I never thought to use them in cleaning products though!
Boosting Your Green Cleaning Routine with Essential Oils
Affiliate links included below. Thank you for your support!
Benefits of Using Essential Oils in Your Spring Cleaning Routine
First, I want to point out that these benefits are from my research. Essential oils are powerful little plant essences, so talk to your doctor if you have a medical condition. Even though you’ll be cleaning with the EOs and not actually using them on your skin, they can still enter your system through inhalation, hence the warning.
There are tons of great essential oils for spring cleaning! Let’s take a look at the most popular!
- Basil- It’s not just for your spaghetti sauce! Basil is a very uplifting scent. It can stimulate your mind and help enhance your focus. I do some of my best brainstorming when I clean with products infused with basil essential oil!
- Lavender– This is perhaps the most popular essential oil on the planet right now! There’s a good reason for that too! It’s very calming. We’re an incredibly stressed out society these days. Cleaning with lavender-infused cleaners helps create a calmer environment. I love using lavender-scented cleaning products in my son’s room. He definitely needs a dose of calm every now and then!
- Rosemary. This is another great uplifting scent! Hmmm, I’m noticing that most of the herbs you find in your Italian dinner have this quality as essential oils. That explains the effect my grandmother’s pasta sauce had on the family! Did you know Rosemary is often used to help stimulate memory?
- Lemon. The actual name for the essential oil we all know as lemon is “citrus limon.’ This is probably the most popular cleaning scent around. Many products use artificial ingredients to replicate the wispy refreshing aroma. Why go fake when the real thing is so much better, though? I can’t think of anything that makes a room smell cleaner than lemon! In fact, when my ex was in the military and needed to pass inspection, he would spray lemon-scented cleaner in the room. Just the smell tells someone “hey, this room is clean!” Not saying you should skip cleaning, but if you’re in a hurry because guests are showing up, lemon essential oil is the way to go!
- Clove. If you’re having guests over for dinner and want your house to smell warm and inviting, clove is the essential oil ingredient you should look for! It’s a very earthy scent that says “come in, sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee!”
Using cleaning products that contain essential oils isn’t just better for the environment than those that use harsh chemicals to create a clean aroma. They can also be good for your mind!
What scent makes you happy and gives your home that clean scent?