2014 Summer Reading List for Elementary Kids

Tweet about this on Twitter13Share on Facebook3Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest25Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0Buffer this pageEmail this to someoneShare on LinkedIn1

This Summer Reading List for Elementary School Kids contains affiliate links. If you click and buy, I earn a small commission. Typically enough for a pack of gum. Still, those packs of gum add up!

2014 Summer Reading List Elementary

Kicking off my summer reading lists with the an updated, 2014 Summer Reading List for Elementary Kids! I’m really trying to make this not too overwhelming for either of us. The first 15 books are my “top picks” for summer reading. The second section is just a title list, no fancy pictures or blurbs. They’ll give you some more ideas though, then you can go find them at your favorite bookseller.

Featured 2014 Summer Reading List Books

2014 Summer Reading List for Elementary Kids
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Disney Planes: Fire & Rescue)
Based on the new movie, Planes: Fire & Rescue features a quirky crew of elite firefighting aircraft devoted to protecting historic Piston Peak National Park from raging wildfire. When world famous air racer Dusty learns that his engine is damaged and he may never race again, he must shift gears and is launched into the world of wildfire air attack.

2014 Summer Reading List for Elementary Kids

Sleepytime Me Daylight is fading and night is drawing in. It’s time for bed. A sleepy child observes the wide world settling down, coming ever closer to home until at last there are good-night hugs and kisses for this little sleepyhead. This is a sweet bedtime story for kids of all ages. Read it to your toddler or let your grade-school child read it to you!

2014 Summer Reading List for Elementary Kids
The 39 Apartments of Ludwig Van Beethoven
According to this story, Beethoven had a whopping 39 apartments in his lifetime. He kept getting kicked out because of the noise! Not sure if it’s based on fact, but it’s a great way to introduce kids to classical composers!

2014 Summer Reading List for Elementary Kids Peanut Butter and Jellyfish Peanut Butter and Jellyfish are best of friends and swim up, down, around, and through their ocean home. Crabby is their neighbor. He is not their best friend. But when Crabby gets in trouble, will Peanut Butter and Jellyfish come to the rescue?

2014 Summer Reading List for Elementary Kids

Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Secret of the Silver Key Join Nancy Clancy in New York Times bestselling team Jane O’Connor and Robin Preiss Glasser’s fourth Nancy Clancy chapter book about the past, present, and future! Nancy and her best friend, Bree, must go back in time to solve their latest mystery.

2014 Summer Reading List for Elementary Kids

Pete the Cat: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

2014 Summer Reading List for Elementary Kids

Steam Train, Dream Train – The dream train pulls into the station, and one by one the train cars are loaded: polar bears pack the reefer car with ice cream, elephants fill the tanker cars with paints, tortoises stock the auto rack with race cars, bouncy kangaroos stuff the hopper car with balls. Sweet and silly dreams are guaranteed for any budding train enthusiasts!

Goodnight

Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site – As the sun sets behind the big construction site, all the hardworking trucks get ready to say goodnight. One by one, Crane Truck, Cement Mixer, Dump Truck, Bulldozer, and Excavator finish their work and lie down to rest—so they’ll be ready for another day of rough and tough construction play!

A Day in the Sun (Disney Frozen) While most Frozen books seem geared more towards girls, this one is perfect for boys ages 3-7! It features the beloved snowman Olaf along with Kristoff and Sven. The book includes 30 fun Frozen stickers too!

Magic Tree House #52: Soccer on Sunday (A Stepping Stone Book(TM)) Just in time for the 2014 Fifa World Cup, Magic Tree House #52: Soccer on Sunday will take Jack and Annie to a soccer field in Mexico where they must find the final secret of greatness for Merlin. On the field, they’ll meet a young soccer player who dreams of one day playing in the World Cup just like his hero, the great Brazilian soccer player, Pelé!

How to Babysit a Grandma When you babysit a grandma, if you’re lucky . . . it’s a sleepover at her house! And with the useful tips found in this book, you’re guaranteed to become an expert grandma-sitter in no time.

Planet Kindergarten This clever picture book will prepare young explorers to boldly go where they have never gone before: Planet Kindergarten. Suit up for a daring adventure as our hero navigates the unknown reaches and alien inhabitants of this strange new world.

Pinkalicious: Crazy Hair Day Pinkalicious can’t wait to show off her wacky hairdo for Crazy Hair Day, but disaster strikes when Rose shows up to class with the same hairstyle.

Tuesday Tucks Me In: The Loyal Bond between a Soldier and His Service Dog Tuesday Tucks Me In is a day in the life of this service dog extraordinaire and tail-wagging ambassador for all things positive and uplifting in the world. The book takes us through a typical day of adventures, starting with Tuesday waking Luis in the morning and greeting him with dog breath in the face, and then ending with Tuesday cuddling up to Luis on their bed, the last moment they spend together before sleep.

61-S6fSAohL

101 Kids Activities That Are the Bestest, Funnest Ever!: The Entertainment Solution for Parents, Relatives & Babysitters! I’m a huge fan of Kids Activities Blog, so I’m really excited to check out their new book! They always have so many great ideas to beat boredom!

20 More Great Summer Reading Books for Elementary School Kids

• The Pigeon Needs a Bath! by Mo Willems

• Nelly Gnu and Daddy Too by Anna Dewdney

• Pete the Cat: A Pet for Pete: My First I Can Read by James Dean

• Fancy Nancy: Sand Castles and Sand Palaces by Jane O’Connor and Robin Preiss Glasser

• Duck & Goose Go to the Beach by Tad Hills

• Charlie and the New Baby (Charlie the Ranch Dog) by Ree Drummond and Diane deGroat

• Have You Seen My Dragon? by Steve Light

• The Berenstain Bears’ Graduation Day by Mike Berenstain

• This Is a Moose by Richard T. Morris

• Bedtime Math: This Time, It’s Personal by Laura Overdeck

• DreamWorks How to Train Your Dragon 2: Draw-It Dragons (LOVE TO DRAW)

• Big Bad Bubble by Adam Rubin and Daniel Salmieri

• The Pilot and the Little Prince: The Life of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry by Peter Sís

• The 26-Story Treehouse (13 Story Treehouse) by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton

• Rules of Summer by Shaun Tan

• Ballpark Mysteries #9: The Philly Fake (A Stepping Stone Book(TM)) by David A. Kelly and Mark Meyers

• I Carry Your Heart With Me by E. E. Cummings and Mati Rose McDonough

• My Big Fat Zombie Goldfish: The SeaQuel by Mo O’Hara

• Madeline 75th Anniversary Edition by Ludwig Bemelmans

• National Geographic Kids Myths Busted! 2: Just When You Thought You Knew What You Knew . . . by Emily Krieger and Tom Nick Cocotos

What’s on your 2014 Summer Reading List? What books are you most looking forward to reading with your kids this year?

Camp Craft for Kids

4th of July Party Games

Blueberry Cheesecake

Anti-Bullying Craft

About Nicole Etolen

37 Responses to “2014 Summer Reading List for Elementary Kids”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Terry says:

What a great reading list. I see quite a few my Grandson would enjoy.
    Terry recently posted..Everything Tablet 360* Case Review For The iPad 2, 3, and 4

2. on the 14 were going to the library to sign my 7 year old up for the summer reading program. There are a few on this list I know my daughter will want

3. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

We get required summer reading assigned from school, so my kids will be doing that :)

4. Kay Adeola says:

Such a great list of books and they look really good.My kiddies have lots of books at home but we could always use some more.
    Kay Adeola recently posted..Popcorn Chicken.

5. kristi says:

My son should have a required reading list for the summer. This is a great list that my soon to be 5th grader can pick some books from. :)

6. I will have to check out a few of these for my son, he is not reading yet but loves having books read to him.
    Jennifer Williams recently posted..Come Run the Happy Girls Run Spokane with Me!

7. Scott says:

You can’t forget Captain Underpants! He was a reading staple in our house!
    Scott recently posted..Let the Gurus Help in the Kitchen

8. Rosey says:

I’m going to look for Peanut Butter and Jellyfish. That’s a fun title. :)

9. Amanda @ Erickson & Co. says:

These look like awesome kid books! Thanks for sharing!

10. Liz Mays says:

Every single one of those is new to me, which makes this kinda fun! Great suggestions for kids!
    Liz Mays recently posted..Asian-style Pan Noodles + #CookWithKohls Sweepstakes

11. Some great sounding reads there – they sound so fun :) and I don’t think I have previously heard of any :) x
    Sarah Bailey recently posted..Father’s Day Collection from Hotel Chocolat: Review

12. This is a good reading list for children, I try to get my daughter to read as much as she can; she loves it.

13. That looks like a really great list. My girls are all into Fancy Nancy at the moment.
    Lady Lilith recently posted..Arrival of Honey Swamp

14. becca says:

That’s a great reading list. One of my favorite books is The Napping House.
    becca recently posted..Books-N-Blogger Swap

15. Pam says:

My kids are grown but I will have to buy the “How to Babysit a Grandma” and send it to my Mom so she can read it with her younger grandchildren and great-grandchildren. That looks so cute.

16. Theresa says:

What an awesome list! My daughter is getting ready to start middle school, so we are on to chapter books now, but she did love those Pinkalicious books in elementary!
    Theresa recently posted..The Fault In Our Stars Cake

17. My son loves being read to, we just got a few books for his collection. You have a great selection here.

18. I bed that Frozen book would be a top seller – even my niece would want it.
    Aisha Kristine Chong recently posted..An Essential Guide to Dieting For Over 65s

19. Tess says:

A great selection of books there. I love it when the kids read.
    Tess recently posted..Little Morocco 50% off With Tea Collection

20. Danielle says:

What a great list! I love the Pete the Cat books and so does my son. I do hope that he is getting lots of reading in this summer while he is away at camp.
    Danielle recently posted..7 Ways to Beat Workout Boredom Day 17 of 100

21. lawna says:

Frozen seems to be all the rage right now so I bet a lot of kiddos will be happy to see that book! Although, all the books look like great reads!

22. Always looking for more great children’s books. It can be hard to find the gems unless you have someone who’s recommending the ones they’ve read and liked. Pinning for later reference! :)
    The Chef’s Wife | Anne @TheSatEvePot recently posted..10 Health Reasons to Consider Using Wood Flatware Instead of Stainless Steel

23. Annie says:

Peanut Butter & Jellyfish looks really cute. Great list of books for parents to utilize :)
    Annie recently posted..Fanime & Clockwork Alchemy 2014

24. I miss reading books like these with my girls! We had such quality time sitting together and reading.
    April @ Everyday Fitness and Nutrition recently posted..This week in training #2

25. This looks like a great list of books for elementary kids! There’s a few I would love to get for my daughter, who is only 3. :)
    Courtney Pies recently posted..How To Train Your Dragon 2 Coming To IMAX 6/13/14!

26. Dawn says:

These look like great books! When I was a child, my favorite book was Bridge To Terabithia. I was so excited when they made it into a movie a few years ago.
    Dawn recently posted..Have A Nice Smelling Summer With 48 Hour Protection From Dove #sponsored #MC

27. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and
    was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
    tumblr love quotes recently posted..tumblr love quotes

28. However, stress plays a part and there are suggestions
    to regain strength on your head. This accentuates his physical size and suggests body confidence.

First, simply DESCRIBE A NORMAL SCENE you witnessed in a store:.
    lips program recently posted..lips program

29. By keeing mentally active, tumblr blog titles many of which have beesn foretold.
    Website design software program, for example, a company hoplds under its
    belt.
    what to name my blog recently posted..what to name my blog

30. Cathleen says:

The inside colors compliment the outer colors well and
    make this Jeep more stylish than imagined. High profile industry is invited and sponsors are roped in to add the zing on the entire event.
    With its stylish look, luxury interior sufficient reason for each of the luxurious features that assist to create any trip enjoyable, drivers are certain to have a thrill when chilling inside their Jeep.
    Cathleen recently posted..Cathleen

31. Commodities are items traded onn aan exchange and are the same no matter what theeir source is.
    The binaey options market is the best choice for anyone who is inexperienced inn the world of trading or for
    anyone who does not have a budget for the requirements of the
    steep margin for gold futures or spot gold trading. According
    to observers, the automation’s most important attribute is thhe elimination of human emotion-often cited as one
    of the major obstacles to investing wisely-from the decision-making process.
    1 Percent Club James Temple recently posted..1 Percent Club James Temple

32. continuously i used to read smaller posts that also clear their motive,
    and that is also happening with this piece of writing which I am reading now.
    รับทำโปรเจค recently posted..รับทำโปรเจค

33. If you are going for finest contents like me, only go to
    see this site every day for the reason that it
    presents quality contents, thanks
    ทัวร์สิงคโปร์ recently posted..ทัวร์สิงคโปร์

34. Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog article or vice-versa?

My blog goes over a lot of the same subjects as yours and I think
    we could greatly benefit from each other. If you happen to
    be interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by the way!
    ทัวร์ฮ่องกง recently posted..ทัวร์ฮ่องกง

35. Competitor Speedo outbid other swimwear companies for the
    exclusive rights to operate a retail outlet and customer relations
    desk on the grounds of the 2013 FINA World Aquatics Championships.

While Porter described these entities as factors which influence the five forces, Brandenburger and Nalebuff proposed that the
    model was lacking in its ability to account for the impact
    of strategic alliances. He would put them in an aluminum pan and coat them with olive oil and
    Italian dressing; he would then cover them with aluminum foil and let them set on the grill for a few hours.
    portas blindadas de vidro recently posted..portas blindadas de vidro

Say Something