With temps staying up in the 90s lately, the last thing I want to do is turn on my stove. I’ve pretty much been living off sandwiches this summer. In the past, I’ve stuck with some fairly boring fare: plain turkey and cheese, just peanut butter on bread- very simple, very dull, but very satisfying for this picky eater. This summer, though, I think my taste buds finally changed and I’m ready to be more adventurous. Just the other day I tried peanut butter and pumpkin butter together. Really yummy, by the way. Considering I don’t even like to mix PB&J, it was a major step.
If you’re looking for some adventurous new sandwiches to try, Arnold® Bread sent me a few recipes to share with you. They’re made by top chefs and registered dieticians, created especially for the Arnold® Bread America’s Better Sandwich Contest.
Speaking of the America’s Better Sandwich Contest,you can submit your own original recipes until August 21st for a chance to win the grand prize of $25,000. With each recipe submitted, Arnold®, Brownberry® and Oroweat® will donate one loaf of bread to Feeding America, the contest’s official charitable partner.
You can submit up to two recipes per category using Arnold®, Brownberry® and Oroweat® Whole Grain or Extra Grainy breads or Sandwich Thins® rolls in each of the following categories:
- State Favorites – well-known sandwiches from your state or local dishes that translate into a sandwich
- Fueling Good – incorporate energy-boosting ingredients like healthful fats, protein, fiber and iron
- Open-Face Artistry – artistic one-slice snacks and meals that highlight nutritious ingredients
- Breakfast in Bread – breakfast favorites like eggs and yogurt, showcased in a new way
- Creative Classics – nutritious spins on sandwich favorites like the club sandwich or BLT
Visit www.americasbettersandwich.com for rules and to enter.
No-Cook Sandwich Recipes
Kevin’s Post Workout Recovery Sandwich – By Chef Kevin Gillespie
Ingredients (4 Servings)
- 8 slices of Arnold® Whole Grains: 100% Whole Wheat bread
- 1 lb. top round roast beef
- ½ c. unflavored fat-free greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. prepared horseradish
- 4 slices fresh tomato
- 1 c. baby arugula
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
In a small bowl, combine yogurt and horseradish. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Lay out 8 slices of bread and divide the yogurt mixture between them. Top 4 slices with tomatoes and baby arugula. Divide roast beef between the same 4 slices of bread. Top with remaining slice of bread. Best served immediately following a workout as a recovery meal.
Chicken Turkey Sandwich – By Chef Tre Wilcox
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 1 slice of Oroweat® Whole Grains: Extra Grainy Cracked Wheat and Oats bread
- 1 tsp. truffle oil
- 2 tbsp. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 oz. shaved chicken breast, sliced thin
- 2 oz. shaved smoked turkey breast
- ½ avocado, sliced thin
- ½ jalapeno, sliced thin
- 1 large roma tomatoes, chopped
- ½ c. baby arugula leaves
- extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
Combine cream cheese, truffle oil and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl using a whisk. Spread mixture across bread and layer the shaved chicken breast, shaved smoked turkey breast, avocado, jalapeno, tomato and arugula. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Spicy Peanut Butter and Cinnamon Honey Sammie – By Vicki Shanta Retelny, RDN
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 2 slices of Brownberry® Extra Grainy 17 Grains and Seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp. natural peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. honey
In a small bowl place pepper, cinnamon and honey and stir.
On one slice of the bread, spread peanut butter and top with the spicy cinnamon honey mixture. Place other slice of bread on top, slice in half and serve. Enjoy.
I am definitely going to try the peanut butter sandwich recipe! It sounds easy and so yummy! Plus it’s just adventurous enough for me. Like I said, I prefer just peanut butter on my sandwiches, and this spices it up a smidge.
What are your favorite sandwich recipes for the summer?