It’s summer, which means vacation time for most people. For me, not so much these days, but one can dream, right? One of the places I would love to go is Virginia Beach. I vaguely remember going there once when I was 16. To be honest, I was more concerned about the boys than the natural beauty and things to do back then. But now that I’m older and more mature, there are so many cool things to do there that I would love to check out. In fact, here is a lovely list of ten of those things (because people like lists of ten, as opposed to lists of 8 or 12 for some reason).
- They have a giant King Neptune statue. Seriously, folks, it’s a GIANT King Neptune statue, where else are you going to find that? He’s even surrounded by his beloved sea creatures. Imagine the photo opps!
- It has a beach! Okay, maybe this one should have gone first, since it IS the beach and all. Now, I’m pretty much as pale as a ghost, so I have to slather on tons of sunscreen before going, but I still love to look at the pretty waves. I don’t go in them too far though, they knock me down and I get freaked out. But I do love the beach!
- If ocean water isn’t your thing, you can head to the rocking water park. The Ocean Breeze Waterpark has all sorts of cool water rides that even a scaredy cat like me can enjoy, plus nice areas for the itty bitty ones.
- It’s not too far away. It’s only about an 8 hour drive from my house if I recall, so it would make a good four-day weekend trip. No plane ride, no hassle, just a peaceful ride (as long as I stock Jake up with a ton of DVD’s and Nintendo games!)
- It’s close to historic Williamsburg... I love historical places, especially those with cobblestone streets. If I recall correctly, Williamsburg is such a place. Nothing says “come, shop, spend money” like cobblestone streets!
- ...which means it’s close to Busch Gardens– I do remember Busch Gardens. That place is awesome! Seriously, you can travel Europe without getting on a plane. Plus, they have giant horses. Over-sized anything is fun, but over sized horses are just fantabulous!
- Forty blocks of souvenir shops. Let that settle for a moment. That is 4-0 blocks of places that sell souvenir magnets. I have a huge souvenir magnet fetish. And postcards. I do love souvenir postcards.
- There’s ocean front yoga. I try to remember to do my yoga as much as possible. It makes me a calmer person, and I’m pretty high-strung as it is. But if I could do it next to the ocean, I’d definitely remember.
- Jake loves aquariums, and they have an awesome one. I’ve heard so many great things about the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center, and I would love to take Jake to check it out.
- They have lighthouses. Virginia Beach is home to some historic lighthouses, which admittedly freak me out a little, but in a totally “ooh, that’s kind of scary” way. I’m convinced ghosts live in lighthouses, and I do love ghosts
So there you have it. Ten reasons to consider visiting the beautiful Virginia Beach. Maybe I’ll luck out, hit the lotto, and head down there myself next weekend! If not, well, I can always dream. I do love planning trips, even if I never get to take them.
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Virginia Beach Tourism blogging program, for a gift card worth $40. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”