When Jacob came home from the hospital in June, 2005 after spending 13 days in the NICU, he was attached to an apnea and heart monitor that screamed every time his breathing or heart rate dipped below a certain number. As much as I hated that thing, it did bring me some measure of comfort, because I knew that as long as it wasn’t beeping, my kid was breathing.
When he came off that monitor, I had to do what most “normal” parents do, rely on a regular baby monitor to listen to the sound of my child breathing, or resign myself to staring at my infant 24/7. Unfortunately, I did need to sleep once in a while, although it still astounds me that I lived on as little sleep as I did back then, so staring at him wasn’t feasible. Even though it was only 7 years ago, the monitors I used were no where near as advanced and cool as those on the market today.
While I don’t recall having a VTech monitor back then, we did use a lot of other products by the companies, and both Jake and I have been fans. VTech is offering my winner in the Shake, Rattle, Roll giveaway a Safe and Sound Digital Audio Monitor, and I wanted to try it out before the event started. While I don’t have a baby, I found that it is useful for older kids as well, especially because it can act as an intercom.
Safe and Sound Digital Audio Monitor Features
- Intercom System – This is my favorite feature, because it makes the system useful beyond just being a baby monitor. It allows you to talk to your baby without having to go into the room. Sometimes, all it takes is the sound of your voice to soothe your child.
- Night Light – The handle of the part that stays in your baby’s room is also a nightlight, making it easy to find the crib in the dark. Hey, I stubbed my toes enough times when Jake was little to appreciate this function!
- Sound Indicator – Sometimes, when you’re enjoying a few minutes of peace and catching up on TV, you don’t really need to hear every coo that your baby makes. If the sound indicator is on one bar, you know your baby is just making little noises. If it suddenly jumps up to five bars, it’s a safe bet the little one is screaming bloody murder and it’s time to go check on the situation.
- Rechargeable Batteries – The battery lasts up to 18 hours on a single charge, so you don’t need to worry about it dying on you midway through the night.
- Privacy Featues – Gone are the days of worrying about your neighbors picking up your private moments through the baby monitor. Now, the signal is digitized and encrypted for added privacy!
- 1,000-Feet Range – Monitor your baby from up to 1,000 feet away. Perfect for those of you who live in castles! Really, though, it’s a great feature because you can actually run your garbage to the curb or sit on your deck and read while your baby sleeps without worrying too much.
The VTech Safe and Sound Digital Audio Monitor performs exactly as you’d expect something from VTech to perform. Granted, I didn’t use it to monitor a baby, but I used it to eavesdrop on my son while he was playing in his room, and it provided crystal-clear sound. Plus it’s fun to scare the bananas out of your kid by talking into the intercom when he doesn’t expect it!
- Vibrating Sound Alert – Enjoy some added peace by being silently alerted when there is sound in the baby’s room.
- Talk-Back Intercom System – Remotely communicate with your baby from the parent unit to the baby unit. Soothe your baby from another room or even from outdoors.
- Night Light – The loop on the baby unit illuminates to be used as a night light.
- Five Level Sound Indicator – Turn the sound down on the Parent Unit and rely on the visual sound alert LEDs to indicate sound levels in the baby’s room.
- Belt Clip – Take advantage of the extended range and rechargeable batteries on the parent unit by using the built in belt clip.
- Backlit display on parent unit.
- Rechargeable Batteries – With up to 18 hours of monitoring time, have the freedom to carry the parent unit everywhere you go without the hassle of a power cord.
- Secure Transmission – The signal is digitized and encrypted ensuring that all transmissions between the baby unit and parent unit are private and secure.
- Extended Range – Up to 1,000 feet of range allows you to feel safe and connected to your child while you go about your day.
- DECT 6.0 digital technology provides crystal clear transmission, eliminating the annoying white noise you hear from analog monitors. The only sounds you hear are coming from your baby.