Review and Giveaway Policy
Note- For book reviews, please see my book review policy.
Email contact: [email protected]
General Review Information
Pretty Opinionated is a PR-Friendly Blog. All products and services are tested by me, and when appropriate, my 9 year old son.
General Review Guidelines
- I require a full-size product in order to do a proper review. Review products are not returned.
- I am not responsible for shipping costs or any other costs. If you send me a coupon to pick up a review item, it MUST cover the full price of the item. I’m okay with paying applicable sales tax (up to a reasonable amount), as I know coupons can’t cover those.
- While I don’t have have a specific required minimum dollar value for review items, please respect that writing a review takes time, and that the product is compensation for my time. The IRS views it that way, so I must as well.
- Current review turnaround time is about one month, unless it is a time-sensitive item. This gives me plenty of time to try out the item and write a great post for you, complete with original photos. If you need the review faster than this, please discuss it with me up front.
What do we review?
Pretty Opinionated has gone through changes over the past four years. When I started, my son was only 5 and toys were at the top of his wish list. Both the site and Jacob have grown up a bit, so obviously focuses have shifted. Since I am personally involved in every review, I want to ensure that you have the best experience possible. That said, we are currently focusing on the following review categories:
- Home technology & accessories: including computers, cell phone technology, cameras and accessories, and other “gadgets” that a single, work-at-home-mom and her highly connected son would find useful. I started shooting with a DSLR last year and I’m always open to reviewing books and accessories that make photography easier. We’re techno-junkies here, so if you have a device that needs reviewing, pitch it to us!
- Video games & accessories: My son is an avid gamer. We’re currently in the process of defeating the evil Kaos in Skylander’s Trap Team! When we’re not wrapped up in that, he plays Minecraft, Dungeon Defenders, and Call of Duty. He’s always up to reviewing video games in his favorite genres and accessories to make his gaming easier. He currently has the following gaming platforms: Wii, XBOX 360, Android Tablet, Windows 8.1 PC, Android Tablet, iPod Touch 5th Gen and a Windows 8.1 phone.
- Health & Beauty: I completely adore beauty products, so much so that I’ve spent hours organizing my beauty stash! I love reviewing new makeup, hair styling tools (I desperately need a new hair dryer!) and delightful bath products. I’m also interested in natural health care items or tools for home health care. As a former nursing student and health writer, I am highly qualified in those areas. I also dabble in fashion, but I’m not exactly Vogue material. I’m a practical single mom.
- For the Home: This category encompasses a wide variety of items, I know. Fun fact: I once wanted to be an interior designer. Alas, I have no actual interior design talent beyond wild Sims homes, but I do love home decor! There’s nothing like getting a bright new duvet cover, a comfy chair or a fun piece of art to brighten my day.
- Pets: I have three dogs, three cats and two guinea pigs. I also care for feral cats outside. My fur kids LOVE getting goodies in the mail. Believe me, they know when UPS of FedEx delivers for them!
- Gourmet goodies & kitchen gadgets: especially coffee and anything that makes getting caffeinated easier! We love trying out tasty new treats. I also love anything that makes it possible for me to cook easier. I’m not exactly going to be a Chopped Champion anytime soon, so anything that keeps me off, say, America’s Worst Cook, would be fab!
This is not an exhaustive list, but I’m getting exhausted! No, not really. I am, however, supposed to be playing with my son right now. Kaos awaits! Perhaps it would be easier to tell you what we don’t review. We’re currently not accepting toys for preschoolers (I have no one in that age group), iPad app reviews (unless you want to give me an iPad to keep!), or anything that has to do with hunting. Sorry, boyfriend, I just can’t get behind it. Other than that, if you think it’s a good fit after taking a spin around Pretty Opinionated, go ahead and send me an email!
Giveaways are a fantastic way to grab readers’ attention and get them to spend more time exploring your product offerings. If you are providing me with a similar item to review, I will run the giveaway free of charge.
- Sponsors are responsible for shipping the giveaway prize to the winner. The only exception is in cases where the prize is an electronic one, such as a subscription to a site. In this case, you may either handle fulfillment yourself after I send you the winner’s info, or I can pass along the information regarding how to obtain the prize.
- All prizes must include free shipping to the winners.
- Giveaways typically run 10-14 days, and are tweeted and posted on Facebook.
- Entries typically include sending the entrant to the sponsor’s website to complete a simple task, such as telling me something they learned or which item they would choose if they won. Sponsor may request up to four additional tasks as extra entries, such as liking them on Facebook or following on Twitter.
- Entrants cannot be requested to make a purchase on the sponsor’s website, nor can they be required to leave a comment on Facebook, as this is against Facebook’s rules.
- Sponsors must fulfill prizes within a reasonable amount of time.
Review Editorial Calender 2015
While I review year-round, if you are targeting a specific holiday please refer to the editorial calender below. Deadlines refer to the date the item must be in my hand to give me adequate time to review it and tell my readers why it’s a great gift for that holiday.
Valentine’s Day -January 1 through February 8th– (Deadline: January 28)
Easter – February 9- April 1- (Deadline: March 20)
Mother’s Day – March 23- May 3 – (Deadline April 22)
Father’s Day– May 11- June 11 (Deadline June 1)
Back to School- July 15- September 15 (Deadline Sept 5)
Halloween – Sept 15- October 25 (Deadline October 15)
2015 Holiday Gift Guide (Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, etc)- October 20- December 20 (Deadline December 10)
Blog Stats- Updated March 2015
100,000 Monthly Pageviews
13,500+ Twitter Followers
9,365+ Facebook Fans
22,900+ Pinterest Followers
Google PR 4
If you would like your product or service reviewed on Pretty Opinionated, please fill out the contact me at [email protected] (nicole @ prettyopinioated.com, if CloudFlare hides the email address).