September is Hunger Action Month, and Feeding America is calling on everyone to get involved in whatever way they can. Did you know that nearly 50 million people live at or below the poverty level in the United States? That over 15% of our entire population. It gets worse: 22% of all children in the US live in poverty. That is a lot of hungry families.
How You Can Help Speak Against Hunger
Helping speak out against hunger is so easy and requires only as much effort as you want to expend. If you’re able to do all of the below, great! If not, just know that anything you do can help in the fight to put a stop to hunger so fewer families go to bed with an empty stomach.
- Like Feeding America on Facebook , then visit the Hunger Action tab. From there, you can locate food banks in your area and find out how you can donate your time, extra food, or money directly to them. Search by state or zip-code and like your local food bank on Facebook.
- Watch and share videos, like the one below, from Hunger Action Month.
- September 6th is Go Orange Day. If you’re heading out that day, consider wearing the color to make a statement about Hunger Action Month. If you’re not leaving the house, how about changing your Facebook profile or other social media account to something orange? The Feeding America Facebook App makes it easy for you.
- Donate your twitter status for a moment! Something as simple as a tweet can raise a lot of attention for the cause. I’ll even make it easy for you, just retweet my tweet below!
— Nicole E.(@prettynameless) August 27, 2012
- Educate others by sharing facts about hunger in America with them.
- Speak out by filling out a paper plate and sending it to your public officials, or posting a picture of your plate on Facebook.
- Give the gift of food by visiting the Feeding America Gift Catalog and purchasing meals for needy families. For just $12, you can feed a child breakfast for three months.
Speaking against hunger is something that requires the efforts of everyone. Every little bit helps, and even the smallest action can make a huge difference in the life of someone suffering from food insecurity.
Note- I am not in any way being compensated for this post. I believe in the cause and want to do my part to speak out against hunger.