You already know that Listerine is one of the best tools in your arsenal against bad breath, but did you know it has other uses beyond that? I have an odd sentimental attachment to Listerine because my grandfather was such a huge fan. While he always kept a bottle of the Original Antiseptic Mouthwash on his bathroom counter, I prefer the Cool Mint flavor. Although the majority of the tips on the uses of Listerine out there call for using the original, I’ve used the Cool Mint and other varieties for different things without any issues. I’m a big fan of the new Listerine Ultraclean Mouthwash to keep my breath fresh, and since I keep that on hand, I don’t see any reason to go out and purchase different types for the different uses.
10 Different Uses for Listerine Aside from Freshening Your Breath
- Stopping itching from bug bites. Aside from using it for the purpose intended, Listerine is my go-to source for stopping bug bites from itching like crazy. I use a ton of it during the months when mosquitoes are biting! This is probably one of the most common alternate uses for Listerine.
- Sooth a sore throat. While nothing can replace seeing your doctor and following his advice (yes, that was an “I’m not a medical professional” disclaimer!), gargling with Listerine can really help soothe a sore throat.
- Combating dandruff. Skip the expensive anti-dandruff shampoos and just toss a cap-full or two (depending on the length of your hair) onto your scalp. Work it in, then rinse. I don’t have dandruff, but I still love that tingly fresh feeling from the Cool Mint Listerine! Hey, it beats spending $30 on a bottle of mint shampoo!
- Fighting acne. Many people swear by Listerine to clear up their acne. Use a small amount on a cotton ball and dab that pimple. I wouldn’t recommend this, though, if you have very dry skin.
- Deodorant. Another one of the more popular alternative uses for Listerine is to use it as a deodorant. While you can apply it straight to your underarms using a cotton ball, if you are very sensitive you may want to put it in a spray bottle. That way, it’s more of a gentle mist. Also, you probably want to avoid using it this way right after you shave your underarms!
- Disinfecting your house. Listerine is designed to kill some heavy-duty germs in your mouth, so it makes sense that one of the many uses of Listerine would be as a household disinfectant too. You can use it to clean your toilet, your counter tops, and pretty much anywhere else that you would use a general cleaner. Spot test first, though, just to be sure it doesn’t cause any unwanted effects.
- Getting rid of lice. The mere mention of the word “lice” gives me the heebie jeebies! They’re icky, nasty, persistent little creatures. There are many who swear that Listerine works as a great way to kill the lice and prevent the spread to others.
- Repelling bugs. Lice aren’t the only bugs that don’t care for Listerine! You can use it as a bug spray during the summer, when all the nasty biting insects are flying around. Spray it on your plants and areas that tend to attract the nasties.
- Soothing a toothache. If you have a toothache and can’t get to the dentist right away, try using Listerine to numb the pain and soothe the ache.
- Removing pet odors. Mixing Listerine with an equal amount of vinegar can help get rid of pet odors in your carpet. Make sure to test an inconspicuous spot first, though!
With so many great uses for Listerine, it’s easy to see why it’s one of the most popular mouthwashes in the world! I’ve been using the Listerine Ultraclean mouthwash , along with their new Listerine Whitening Original Gel to keep my teeth clean and breath nice and kissably fresh. The gel toothpaste is strong, like as strong as the mouthwash, but it leaves my whole mouth feeling really tingly and clean. The Listerine Pocket Paks are great for taking on the go. Pop one of the little strips into your mouth after a garlic-laden meal and you don’t have to worry about knocking anyone out with your breath!
NEW LISTERINE® ULTRACLEAN™
It is the only leading mouthwash that contains an anti-tartar ingredient! The fresh clean lasts up to 3 times longer than just brushing alone. Of course, like its predecessors, Listerine Ultraclean also helps kill germs and fight gingivitis.
LISTERINE® WHITENING® ORIGINAL GEL
The Whitening Original Gel helps keep your teeth whiter by removing surface stains and controlling tartar. It also has ingredients that help restore the enamel and strengthen your teeth, plus fluoride to fight cavities. Plus, since it’s made from Listerine, it makes your breath nice and fresh!
Visit the Listerine web site to learn more about their great line of products. Also, right now on the website under special offers, there is a $1 off product coupon to help you cut down your costs!