Winter is, by far, the worst time of the year for my skin. I can handle the oily issues in the summer or the redness brought on by allergies in the spring and fall, but winter is just a killer. My skin gets so dry that it itches non-stop. I’m not just talking about my face, either. My legs get so dry and itchy that I have to take something at night just to get some sleep. I’ve tried dozens of tactics over the years to keep my skin looking good in the winter. These are the ones that work best for me.
How to Keep Your Skin Looking and Feeling Awesome During the Winter
- Moisturize like crazy. I’m not talking once-a-day lotion rubdowns, I’m talking “take out stock in the lotion industry” moisturizing. Do it after you shower, in the middle of the day, and before you go to bed. Get a rich lotion, preferably a body butter of some sort. Sal bought me some amazing body butter for Christmas, and it helps so much.
- Drink a ton of water. Well, maybe not a literal ton, as that would kill you. Seriously, you can die from drinking too much water! Make sure you’re getting your recommended amount per day, though. I never follow this advice very well, as I’m not a fan of plain water, but when I do actually listen to myself, it works wonders. You need to moisturize from the inside out!
- Consider showering less often, or using cooler water. I’m not saying you have to go days without washing, that would be gross. Just cut back on the hot water, don’t spend more time in the shower than you have to, and maybe consider skipping a day when you’re not going out. Hot water feels great on dry, itchy skin…until you get out. Then it just makes things so much worse.
- Embrace the beauty of pale skin. It’s winter, no one expects you to be tan! Skip the tanning salon. While I advocate skipping tanning entirely year round, if you have dry winter skin, you really don’t want to go tanning. It’s very drying to your skin, which makes sense, since you’re essentially baking yourself. If you really must have tan skin in the winter, use a moisturizing fake tanning spray.
- Exfoliate. Get rid of all those dry, flaky loose skin cells by exfoliating. There are many ways to do this, and I’ve tried most of them. My new favorite is with the Professional Skin Care System from ToiletTree Products.
About the Professional Skin Care System from ToiletTree Products
The Professional Skin Care System is a complete exfoliating system that you can use in the shower or out. It comes with a huge body brush, two brushes for your face, and a pumice stone. It’s waterproof, so you can take it in the shower and use it to slough off all that dry skin. I love the big brush, it really deep-cleans your skin if you put your body wash on it. Better than my worn-out poofy thing! It’s so easy to switch from one brush to the other, so I can pop off the body brush and throw on the brush for sensitive skin for my face. I use that with my favorite face wash.
Since using the Professional Skin Care System for the last few weeks, I’ve definitely noticed an improvement. My skin feels less dry and flaky. The face brush does a fantastic job of working my cleanser into my skin. I use a natural cleanser with a hint of menthol in it, and combined with the face brush, it really helps perk me up in the morning. The system is easier on your hands than scrubbing with a loofah. The spinning brush does all the work for you. If you suffer from icky dry winter skin, or even if you just want to give your skin-care routine a little extra oomph, I suggest trying out the Professional Skin Care System from ToiletTree Products. Follow ToiletTree on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with new product news, deals, and more.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.