Feeding America, the organization that organized the “Pack It Till Their Back” program is teaming up with the Dreamworks Pictures movie, The Help, to to stave off hunger this holiday season. Millions of Americans are in a really bad economic place right now and desperately need assistance. The holidays are supposed to be a time of over-indulging in chocolate-chip cookies and mugs of steaming hot cocoa, not worrying about where your next healthy meal is coming from. The national donation campaign runs from Dec. 1-11th to coincide with the DVD/Blu-ray release of The Help on December 6th. The goal is to generate food and funding to help feed the 1 in 6 people in the United States who do not have enough to eat.
To help put food in the hands of as many people/families in need this holiday season, FEEDING AMERICA/THE HELP are asking consumers to please help contribute in one of the following ways.
- DONATE ONLINE – Every $1.00 donated can help Feeding America provide meals eight meals for people in need. People who make online donations at www.feedingamerica.org/thehelp between December 1 and 11 will receive a limited-time $5.00 off coupon toward the purchase of the film The Help on Blu-ray or DVD. Touchstone Pictures, the affiliate of The Walt Disney Company that distributed The Help, will provide a matching donation of up to $10,000, with a goal of providing more than 200,000 meals to families at risk of hunger.
- GET SOCIAL – Throughout the month of December, Facebook and Twitter fans of The Help will be encouraged to take action in their local communities. The Help Facebook and Twitter accounts will post details about how people can get involved and ask fans to provide feedback and talk about their local community efforts/contributions.
- DROP OFF FOOD – Feeding America/The Help themed food donation boxes will be positioned at local community events in Manhattan, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Dallas and Atlanta throughout December. The food collected will be distributed the local Feeding America food bank. Please consider donating foods that are most frequently requested, such as cereal, pasta, rice, beans, canned fruits and vegetables, soups, 100% juices, peanut butter, canned tuna, chicken or turkey.
Those who would like to stay connected with the FEEDING AMERICA/THE HELP program are encouraged to:
- “Like” the Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/thehelpmovie
- Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/helpmovie
Note- I was not compensated in any way for posting this, I just feel it is a good cause. The majority of the information came from the press release.