I think it’s fairly safe to say that I’ve not only jumped on the Pinterest bandwagon after so thoroughly rebelling against it months ago, but I’m quickly earning my spot in the “you need a Pintervention” section of said wagon. I spend an inordinate amount of time pinning recipes I’ll never figure out how to cook, crafts I’m not talented enough to make, houses I’ll never in a million years be able to afford, and things that either make me laugh or bring a moment of joy into my busy day (even if they do make me feel inadequate in the domestic department). As I pin away, I think about all the options that I wish Pinterest had that would make my life (or at least my imaginary life) a whole lot easier. Here’s what I came up with.
- A “You’ve Already Pinned This” warning.I have close to 2000 pins right now across about 50 boards (and I know that’s piddly compared to some hardcore pinners!), so I can’t possibly be expected to remember if I pinned that awesome brownie recipe or picture of Alex O’Loughlin already! If they could find a way to work in a “hey there, I see you’re pinning a duplicate pin, are you sure you want to do that, oh wonderful Nikki?” I’d be totally thrilled.
- Better Board Organizing Options– Right now, if I want to rearrange my boards, I have to click on the “rearrange button” and drag them all over the place. Half the time, they bounce right back because I didn’t situate them just right. I would do jumping jacks for an option that lets me alphabetize them with one click (my OCD demands it!).
- Merge Boards option- This kind of goes along with the last one. During Christmas, I created like 4 different boards. One had cookies, one had decor, one was a general Christmas board, and one was specifically for Christmas Eve. I did this to make it easier to craft my posts. Now, I want them all merged under Christmas, but short of editing every pin, that just doesn’t seem possible.
- Batch Editing of Pins- Okay, so if I can’t merge boards, then it would be nice to select a whole bunch of pins at once and edit their category. I’m fine with not being able to edit specific details all at once, but at least make it easier for me to move them all to a new board.
- Subcategories– I know I’m getting really demanding here, but I would love to see more subcategories beneath categories. When I search for, say, food, I’d love to be able to break it down further into desserts without having to search specifically for desserts. Which brings me to wish #6.
- Better Search Function- I read that they’re working on this, so I’ll be patient. I also know it’s hard to return relevant results when we use descriptions that have nothing to do with the pin, like “looks yummy!” I was totally guilty of this, but I’m working on giving more helpful descriptions now.
- Privacy Options-It would be great to make an entire board private. See, here’s the thing. Occasionally, I want to pin something that is totally inappropriate for the Pretty Opinionated image (like those ecards with “bad” words). Since my boards are tied into that image, and I don’t want to offend my followers, I just skip it. I would love to pin stuff that is just for my eyes.
So there you have it, seven things that I really wish Pinterest would implement. If any of these things happen to already exist and I don’t know about it, let me know. I’d love to hear your Pinterest wish list ideas too!
I don’t use Pininterest nearly as much as some people do, I think these reasons may be why!
I’m totally in need of a 12-step program at this point, so I’m probably pinning enough for all those who barely use it. Kind of like when you go to an all-you-can-eat buffet, but only eat like three things on the menu, so you bring an extra person and make them eat more so you both feel like you’re getting your money’s worth.
These are all really good ideas – I think 1 and 3 are ones I’ve thought of before. As a blogger I just wish their Pin It buttons worked better – I have issues with them!
Me too! Half the time I hit the “Pin It” button and it just sits there, not going anywhere. Grrrr.
I am just starting on Pinterest. I am trying to learn the ropes. I am following you, so hopefully you can help me learn!!!
The basics of pinning are really easy. Once you do a few, you know how to do it. I made the mistake of making too many subcategory boards though in the beginning. I’m happy to help in any way I can!
WOW – you are really pinning away. Maybe I should just go to your boards instead of going to all the different ones
I would love it if you visited my boards! Hey, maybe you can actually cook or make all the things that I pin, since I kind of lack the talent for it! LOL.
My #1 Pinterest wishlist item is subcategories. Having Tiered boards would allow for simpler, more organic, organization. Do you think it will ever happen?
i totally agree with you on everything! as I’m sure you know, they have private boards now. i’ve realized that the re-arrange option only works if you click the check-mark at the top, so i click it every few minutes as i shuffle my boards.
i’m /arleigh on pinterest.