Valentine’s Day is often thought of as a holiday for couples only, but there is no reason that you can’t involve your kids in the special day. ProFlowers is great to get everyone involved, for example. Flowers make gorgeous Valentine’s Day decor, and letting the kids pick the arrangement gives them a sense of involvement.
Up until last year, my son was my only Valentine every year for several years. While I don’t go all out with gifts and what not (after all, it’s not Christmas or his birthday), I do like to make sure he has something special to celebrate the day. I also like to ensure that he has some of the coolest cards to give to his friends, such as photo cards or other personalized greetings. Making Valentine’s Day special for kids doesn’t have to be too time consuming or costly, though. There are many ways to make the day fun for your little one and celebrate the greatest love of all- that between parents and their children.
Tips to Make Valentine’s Day Special for Kids
- Make them a special Valentine’s Day breakfast, such as heart-shaped pancakes with strawberries. Using fruits or vegetables to incorporate a little red into the meal also makes it healthier!
- Give a small, meaningful gift. Valentine’s Day is about expressing love, not about breaking the bank with elaborate gifts. A great suggestion is a coupon book filled with fun activities that you can do together. Ideas include: an afternoon at the park, movie time with mom or dad, baking cookies together, and so on.
- Plan “date night” for a different night, and spend Valentine’s Day in with your kids. The restaurants are all crowded on Valentine’s Day anyway! You’ll get better service and better seats if you switch up your romantic date night.
- Introduce your children to the art of poetry. Read love poems together, then help your child write his own. Obviously, you’ll want to stick with the less suggestive love poems.
- Help them make really cool Valentine’s Day Photo cards to give to their close friends and family. We usually do non-photo cards to give to the class in general, then some cute photo cards for those that he’s closer too. I’ve been a fan of Shutterfly for all my personalized photo needs for years now. “Help them” is the operative word here! Let them choose the design and the photo, and resist the urge to micromanage the whole project.
While you’re visiting Shutterfly to make your photo cards, take a look at all the other great photo gifts they offer. I love the photo mugs. Sal and I made a bunch of them for holiday gifts this year and a couple for ourselves, including one that commemorated our first Valentine’s Day together last year at Paradise Stream. If you’re not a coffee or hot beverage drinker, they also have personalized BPA-free photo water bottles.
Shutterfly Giveaway: Win 50 4×5 stationery classroom cards and a 5×5 desktop plaque
Enter below for a chance to win 50 4×5 stationary cards (these are the size cards that your child typically gives to classmates) and a 5×5 desktop plaque so you can always have your favorite picture close by.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Note: This is a sponsored post. I will receive the same package as the giveaway winner. However, I only promote companies that I actually use myself, and compensation in no way affects my opinion.
love the fleece photoblanket
I like the “love” photo mug!
My favorite is the fleece blanket!
I love the keepsake boxes!
the iphone case
I have been coveting the photo bracelet for awhile now and I really want it for Valentine’s day now 🙂
love the mounted wall art!!
I like the Canvas prints!
I love the blankets they make! I would love to get one of these for my husband for fathers day!
i like the iphone case and cups the best!! 😀
i like the plates
tcogbill at live dot com
I love the Iphone cases!
I like the keepsake box
I like the photo fleece blanket.
I love the Hope Love Family
15oz Ceramic Mug
i like the acyrlic photo block
I like the notepads and notebooks.
The ceramic photo coffee mug is my favorite!
I love the acrylic photo block
I LOVE the photo desk organizer. I think it would be perfect for my husband’s desk at his new job!!!
It would have to be the fleece blanket, especially for cold winter nights:)
I like the XOXO photo mug.
The 8×10 canvas is my favorite
i really like the fleece blanket idea
doodle love is my favorite!
i like the photo books
I like the Photo Coasters
I love the woven photo blanket
I like the puzzle
i love the photo mugs thanks
I love the photo cubes
i love the puzzle idea
I like the Magnets
My fave is the I Heart You 16oz Stainless Steel Travel Mug 🙂
The 50 X 60 Fleece Photo Blanket is my favorite.
When we did not had mobiles, we used to send love messages to our loved ones via Love Cards, Greeting cards, Emails etc.
For example: message in a bottle is an unbeatable and attractive
romantic gift. These romantic gifts ideas for her will definitely sweep her off