I thought it would be entertaining (for me, anyway) to do the 31 Day Blog Challenge, a fun writing prompt challenge created by Fabulous Finds by Tiffany. It’s a good way to get to know other bloggers, and for all my readers to get to know me a little better. If you’re a blogger, check it out and join in! Even if you’re not a blogger, these prompts would be great for a journal that you can pass on to your kids!
Today’s prompt: A Self Portrait and 5 Random Facts About Me. Here goes.
This is from a few months ago, when my hair was shorter. It’s a lot longer now. It grows insanely fast. If you ever saw Interview with a Vampire, remember the scene where Claudia cuts off all her hair and it grows right back? That’s pretty much me! Well, without the lust of blood, of course. And the weird doll collection. Dolls freak me out.
Five Random Facts about Me
1. I am a horrible speaker. I often play out what I’m going to say in my head, but it never comes out the way I want. I can’t answer questions on the spot without thinking about them, even if they’re something as basic as “where did you put the keys to the car?” If I could just say everything I need through writing, my life would be so much easier. When I do have to talk, I get it over with quickly. I talk so fast, I’ve had New Yorkers tell me to slow down.
2. I am afraid to drive on the highway. Contrary to popular belief, it has little to do with the actual being on the highway part and everything to do with the merging part. If I could find a way to never have to merge, I’d be just fine.
3. I cry my eyes out when that commercial with all the sad puppies comes on. You know, the one with that depressing song and the abandoned animals in cages? I have to change the channel, otherwise I get really depressed. I also can’t go into any sort of animal rescue facility, or read the cat stories at PetSmart without bawling. I want to adopt them all!
4. I was afraid of the dark until I was about 23. Now I can’t sleep unless it’s pitch black in my room.
5. I believe in faeries, magic, ghosts, and aliens.
So there you go! I’ve completed the first day of the challenge. Those who know me won’t expect me to make it through the full 31 days. I tend to lack follow-through on any sort of challenge. I’m hoping to surprise you, and myself, this time though!
It’s your turn now! Tell me a random fact about you!
I don’t do good speaking in public either. Once, in High School we had to jump up in front of the class and give a 5 minute speech about anything we wanted to. We were caught totally off guard. I hated that day. I did it though but I was so nervous.
That would be horrible for me! I’d stand there like a deer frozen in the headlights and say “um” a lot. LOL. Glad you got through it!
I too hate merging. The other cars are too hard to predict. Public speaking still makes me nervous, and that commercial is so terribly sad.I want to give all the kitties a home here!
I hate the sounds of basketball going thump…thump….thump. That slow rhytmic sounds irritates me.
That dang commercial gets me every time too! The Sarah McLauchlin one? I want to adopt ALL the puppies and kitties.
I think having a twin has altered me perception of speech. We often speak very fast to each other and no one else can understand us. My boyfriend has slowly learned to interpret it, though, because I often start speaking to him the same way without thinking about it.
I think it would be so neat to have a twin and communicate like that!
I hate those sad animal commericals too! I always still think about it like hours after seeing the commerical.
Oh my god! That ASPCA commercial kills me. I will literally turn off the TV and walk away when it comes on.
I have to change the channel when that commercial comes on too. Makes me wonder if they are really accomplishing what they set out to do – I’m not donating if I’m not watching the commercial!
Thanks for sharing this post – it is fun!
That’s a good point! It seems no one can actually bear to watch it long enough to get to the phone number or whatever they give you at the end so you can help!
I have to sleep in pitch black too! I put electrical tape over my tv logo so I can’t see the light!
That’s funny! I use a black sock to cover any sort of green LED light!
I will not drive on the highway in IL so I sympathize. 😉
I am the same way with animals and shelters. In fact,just yesterday I rode a very sad story about a dog who was chained up and as a result had the chain cut all the way down to the bone. I cried so hard, and I was miserable the rest of the night. Glad to know I’m not the only one out there that’s like that.
Awww, that’s horrible! Stories like that really get to me. I just want to save them all!
I agree with you about crying during sad commercials – it was especially bad when I was pregnant…
I am with you on the terrors of merging on the highway. There is the one place in a city near where I live where you have like 2 seconds to get on the highway from the entrance, or you run out of road. It is always really busy in that section of the highway and people will not slow down or move over to let you on. You just have to pray. I avoid that section of the road like the plague. It just isn’t safe.
I don’t think I was ever totally afraid of the dark until I moved into the bedroom in the basement when I was in middle school. Then it was totally freaky to go down the stairs. There was no light switch at the bottom of the stairs (only the top), so I would have to walk down in the dark to get to my room. Creepy!
HA! I used to be DEATHLY afraid of merging – totally get that one!
Dolls freak me out too. Especially those old ones made from porcelain. How can people have those in their homes!
It’s nice to see a little bit of the real inside of you, fairies and ghosts and all. 🙂