The summer vacation – three words that evoke in parents a heady mix of fear, confusion and (occasionally) contentedness. Sure, in theory, two and half months enjoying some relaxed quality time with your beloved kids sounds awesome. But the reality sees a lot of parents pulling their hair out about how to keep the kids from climbing the walls… while counting the minutes until school’s in again.
We’ve got a few choice ways to stimulate the kids and enrich your downtime… without losing your sanity.
- Create a family tree- Kids love hearing stories about family history, from when they were babies to what life was like for you and your parents when you were young. Making a family tree gives them a connection to their own family, and helps them visualize how they came to be here. If you have a roll of art paper or even old wallpaper, encourage them to draw and decorate a huge tree with lots of intricate branches, leaves and blossom. Leave space for photos – they can either visit with relatives and take new photos or scan existing ones. Or you could even buy cute decals to stick on the wall and make your kid-created family tree a permanent fixture.
- Get weird with science- There’s a whole world out there to explore, and a little bit of creative input from you will help them to see our planet for the fascinating place it is. Bug hunts with a magnifying glass are more meaningful if they’ve got a list to check off their mini-beasts – if you’re artistic, you can make one yourself, otherwise there are some great bug-related books around. And if you can handle a messy kitchen for the day, why not let them go mad and make their own volcano? You’ll probably find you already have the stuff you need (flour, baking soda, vinegar, an empty drinks bottle…) and watching their faces when their homemade volcano erupts frothing, oozing lava is worth tidying up afterwards – but get them to do that bit too; it’s character-building.
- Visit a museum – then report back- If you still think museums are the musty ol’ caverns we had to be dragged round kicking and screaming, it’s time to wake up and smell the 21st century. Museums these days know which side their bread is buttered, and they know that if they can keep the kids entertained for the best part of a day, parents might consider coming back again – and what’s more, they’ll tell their friends. From Houston to Rochester, from Columbus, Oh, to Davie, Fl, you’ll find a museum that’ll thrill them, challenge them and keep them talking for days. While it’s fresh in their minds, get them to present a news piece while you film it or write their own online review to keep the experience alive.
- Combine travel and learning- Kids’ camps are a mainstay of the great American summer, and they get better by the year, with a range of specific focuses such as arts or sports. But did you know you can send your children to learn about different cultures during the vacation? From camps to learn Spanish in Granada or Madrid to action-packed study and activity breaks in the lush central region of England, summer camps give children the chance to immerse themselves in an unaccustomed way of life and pick up new skills, while socializing with kids from all over the world. Pastoral care is second to none, and organisers usually bend over backwards to ensure all kids are settled and happy, and that study and activities are pitched at an appropriate level.
- Put on a show- Whether your child’s a born performer or prefers to get handy putting together a backdrop, they’ll love the challenge of rehearsing and performing a show or short play with their friends. Get them to write the script or download one, rehearse, assemble a stage or scenery, design programmes, advertising and tickets, prepare snacks and drinks for an interval, and finally, perform the finished play to assembled friends, neighbors and of course, doting family members – yeah, that means you…!
Written by Alexandra James, a mother and wife living in Oxford, UK.
We love visiting museums! Over the summer we also go to the beach a lot, where my son loves to explore.
We will be experiencing our first summer break this year. We will be joining the libraries reading group for the summer and I belong to a park play date group that is run through facebook. The moderator lets us know which park she will be at and when or other mom’s can post the same info. It gives us a stepping stone in knowing others will be there for mom time and I have met a ton of great mom’s I wouldn’t have known otherwise!
Fun ideas! My kids love trying science experiments and I thought this would be a great way to keep them entertained this summer.
You’ve got some fun ideas here. Thanks for sharing.
Such great idea – will certainly keep it in mind. And The picture is awesome
I found this post to be extremely helpful as I was searching what all the information was about regarding How To Keep Your Kids Learning & Exploring This Summer.
Thanks for sharing
these are wonderful summer tips. it is really important to keep kids learning and growing during the summer rather than just being lazy and stagnant. thank you!
My son is just 2 but I am planning some fun things for the summer. We plan to visit the library more, especially for their storytime!
You have really helped reduce the stress I would have gone through in finding this blogs to either comment on or guest post for, thanks”
The A Team Real Estate & Builders is the main authorized dealer of Al Jalil Developers. Our running multiple successful LDA-approved projects are Al Jalil Garden Housing Scheme, Al Noor Orchard Housing Scheme, and Al Baari residencia which offers you 03 Marla, 5 Marla, 2 Marla, 1 Kanal, and 04 Kanal residential plots with the best facilities in Lahore west.
‘The A-Team Real Estate and Builders’ to serve you as the main authorized dealer of Al Jalil Developers. Our main project of Alnoor Orchard is the most successful venture since 2014. Our running multiple successful projects are at Al Baari, Al Rehman Garden, Al Noor Orchard Housing Scheme LDA- approved residential and commercial plots, West Marina Cottages and Villas, Executive Block at the best available price in comparison with the market. It would be an immense pleasure for us to bring you a better lifestyle.
Nicely and concisely crafted information. Some of the points are really useful. Highly recommend that piece of content.