This post brought to you by American Kennel Club. All opinions are 100% mine.
I am a dog person. While I have cats, I’ve always been closest to my pups. I can’t imagine life without a dog! My whole family loves dogs, actually. My aunt just got a purebred Irish Wolfhound pup, while my brother and sister-in-law tend to go with smaller breeds like the Miniature Dachshund. Talk about two complete ends of the size spectrum! They do have one thing in common, though, both chose the breeds that they chose because of the predictable nature of the purebreeds.
Rescue the new love of your life with American Kennel Club
As an animal lover, I am passionate about rescuing. There are so many dogs out there who deserve love. Did you know that with the help of the American Kennel Club, you can rescue a purebred dog that needs a family? I had no idea! Through the AKC Rescue Network, you can find the perfect dog for your family. They’ll even help you determine which questions to ask, such as:
- Why is the dog in a shelter? Was he a stray? Was he surrendered? Why was he surrendered?
- What is the overall health of the dog?
- Has he been adopted before? Why was he returned?
- Does the dog like cats? Other dogs? Kids?
- Is he scared of anything? Does he cower in fear of thunder storms, for example?
Find the Puppy of Your Dreams
While I love rescuing, I know that some families want to start with a puppy. That’s totally understandable, I had two puppies of my own 12 years ago! It is imperative that you adopt through reputable breeders, and again, the American Kennel Club is an amazing resource. They offer tips like:
- Visit the breeder’s home and see where your pups come from. Check out the surroundings as well as the puppy’s parents.
- Establish an ongoing relationship with the breeders, as they are one of the best resources when you have questions about your dog.
- Work with breeders who are open to your questions.
- Do not leave the premises without your puppy’s “papers.”
With dozens of tips for both rescuing and adopting a new puppy, the American Kennel Club really has thought of everything. In fact, I found so many tips that I never would have considered on my own. I just love how the AKC works hard to promote responsible pet ownership.
Right now, I have three dogs, but two of them are getting up there in age. While I can’t stand the thought of anything happening to them, I do know that I will ALWAYS have dogs in my life. Perhaps my next dog will even be one of these cuties:
Do you have a purebred dog? What made you choose that particular breed?
We have a Jack Russell Terrier. We chose that breed because they are highly intelligent and full of energy. They are so loyal, too.
I like this service of knowing where my next dog can come from by the American Kennel Club. It is a good idea to be able to research a dog that I am getting and see where it came from.
I recently adopted Jack Russell Terrier from a nearby kennel club. We contacted them through their online given number. They contacted us back. The procedure was quick and easy and above all great support service. He is a quick learner. All of us are loving his companionship.