We received a complimentary Mantry crate to facilitate this review. All opinions are our own.
Looking for a unique gift for the foodie guy in your life? Sal and I recently had a chance to try out Mantry, a really cool subscription service that delivers American-Made tasty treats that guys would love. They call themselves “the Modern Man’s pantry,” hence the Mantry. Your Mantry selections arrive in a really cool wooden crate that you can reuse for other purposes. This was one of Sal’s favorite parts of it.
Campfire Cookout with Mantry
Each month features a different theme, with yummy artisan foods to fit that theme. Our Mantry box was centered around the Campfire Cookout theme, since it is summer. It included six American-made products that are perfect for chilling around the campfire with friends.
- Soberdough Green Chile Cheddar Brew Bread: I’ve never been a beer drinker, but I do love beer bread! For those who never had it and don’t drink, the alcohol burns out in the baking process. My mom usually makes it, so I have no idea what the process actually involves. With the Soberdough mix, though, you only need three steps to have delicious “brew bread” that even a campfire cooking novice could make. I love that it comes in a cloth sack!
- Olive & Sinclair Bourbon Nib Brittle: Every campfire cookout needs something sweet, and this definitely fills that need! Olive & Sinclair are “bean to bar” people, meaning they take the finest cocao beans and turn them into chocolate bars, skipping the over-processed middle man. For this sweet treat, they soaked the beans in bourbon. Mantry recommends sprinkling it over vanilla ice-cream. Soooo good!
- Just Cook Herbed Coffee Rub: If it has the word “coffee” in it, I’m on board! They recommend using it on a steak, but I don’t eat red meat. Then again, I’m not the target audience.
- Vermont Smoke & Cure Summer Sausage: According to the Mantry pamphlet (each box comes with one to tell you more about your food), these sausages are made from local meats and in small batches to make them extra delicious.
- Broadbent’s Hickory Smoked Bacon: The only item not pictured above because someone got a little too excited about it, this is some sort of magical shelf-stable bacon that is made from award-winning meat.
- La Fundidora Feugo Salsa: Now this is definitely one that I wanted to keep for myself (but didn’t, because that wouldn’t be nice, since it was Sal’s package). I’m so weird, I won’t eat any of the ingredients of salsa on their own, but throw it into a pretty jar and I’m all about scooping the chips into it. It’s all natural, vegan and kosher. It was warm, not spicy hot but not too mild either. Delicious!
Each Mantry crate comes with a booklet that gives you ideas on how to use the items. If you want more, you’ll find a nice recipes section on their website too. If you’re looking for a fun, unique gift for your culinary guy, Sal gives his thumbs up for this one. He was impressed by the crate alone before he even dug in! Subscriptions run $75 for one month. Order several months to save. Head over to Mantry to learn more and order a crate for your guy!
Which Mantry item would you most like to try out?