While baking is one of the few things I’m okay at, I rarely have time to do it from scratch. I’m all about this whole cake mix hack trend that’s going around these days! I had a few boxes of cake mix in my cabinet and my son was asking for brownies. I looked up a few recipes, but none of them seemed like they’d be fudgy enough, so I modified this one from Cooks.com to make my own! Check out my Super Fudge Brownie Recipe, made with cake mix!
Cake Mix Hack: Super Fudge Brownie Recipe
- Chocolate Cake Mix (preferably dark chocolate, but you can use regular old devils food cake)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water to start (see below for more on this)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup to start
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly spray your 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray (or 9×9 for thick brownies)
- Combine the mix, oil, water, egg and syrup*
- Pour batter into your pan, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top in an even layer.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, depending on your oven. Check them after about 15 minutes. If the fork or toothpick comes out clean, they’re done.
If your brownie batter is too thick, add more water and chocolate syrup to it. While you’d think every batter would be uniform when you use the same ingredients, it seems that different people get different results. I got different results two different times! I think you can be a smidge off with your measurements, or maybe your egg isn’t as liquid as another. Whatever the reason, it happens. I added two teaspoons of water, then one more teaspoon of syrup. Do it in that ratio, otherwise you’ll water down the chocolate flavor.
These fudge brownies taste best right out of the oven, especially with ice-cream all a la mode style! I’m going to be honest with you, they’re not built to last. While they’re fine the next day, they’re kind of stiff after two days. So eat them up!
Do you have a favorite cake mix hack recipe? Tell me about it!