’s Harvest® provided coupons & a gift card to purchase ingredients for this post. All opinions are my own.
When you have a busy work-at-home-lifestyle, it’s easy to forget to eat. When I do remember, I’m usually eating in front of my computer, taking a “working lunch.” Usually it’s more work than lunch! Sandwiches are the easiest way for me to work and eat at the same time. I’ll be honest, my sandwiches are pretty boring because I’m such a picky eater. When Nature’s Harvest® bread challenged me to come up with an original recipe, I had to think outside my usual routine.
My mom eats a lot of tomato sandwiches. I swear she practically lives on them! I wanted to come up with a way to make her regular old tomato sandwich a little more interesting. Since I know nothing about what goes well with tomatoes, I hit the internet and looked at about 50 tomato sandwich recipes for inspiration. I researched flavors and tried to figure out what went well together. I asked my mom what she would eat. The end result is super easy to make, yet really classes up your plain old tomato on bread. Plus it’s all mine! My mom was my taste tester and she said I did good, so I hope you like it too!
Tomato Avocado Carousel Sandwich Recipe
- 2 slices Natures Harvest® 100& Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread (you can use other types of Natures Harvest® if you prefer)
- 1 thick slice of tomato (I used Hot House Tomato, and it makes a difference. Don’t get the cheap tomatoes, splurge and get something good. You can get a few sandwiches out of one tomato).
- Avocado (just ripe, not too ripe but also not still hard)
- Mozzarella Cheese (the good kind you can slice)
- Pepper to season, if desired
- Mayonnaise (my mom only eats the real stuff, but I imagine you can go with any type you prefer here)
- Spread a layer of mayo on the bottom piece of bread. Thick or thin, it’s up to you.
- Add your thick slice of tomato
- Slice the avocado into small pieces and arrange in a pinwheel around the tomato
- Fill in the gaps between the avocado with small slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle pepper if desired
- Top with other slice of bread. You can add more mayo to that slice if you want, or not. That’s really up to you.
Originally, I was going to add bigger slices of avocado and a thick slice of that super fancy mozzarella cheese, but turns out the stuff I bought wasn’t the “fancy” stuff AND I have no idea how people slice avocados so pretty. So this carousel sandwich actually became a thing because I messed up the original recipe.
Why Natures’s Harvest Bread?
Did you know that, as an adult, you’re supposed to eat 48 grams of whole grains daily? Your kids (ages 4-13) should be getting between 40-48 grams daily. Yet, according to studies, many of us aren’t reaching that daily minimum. Nature’s Harvest bread is baked with at least 8 grams of whole grains per serving. The 100& Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread has an incredibly 25 grams per serving. One sandwich and you’re halfway to your daily recommended requirement.
Nature’s Harvest breads are made without artificial flavors or colors. They’re also completely free of high fructose corn syrup. They come in many delicious varieties, from Honey Wheat to Butter Top, and even Buttermilk Made with Whole Grain Bread. I am definitely trying that one next!
To help encourage you and your family to incorporate those 48 grams of whole grains into your diet, Nature’s Harvest® bread launched a fun “Whole Grain Challenge.” From now through August 10, take the whole grain pledge on the Nature’s Harvest® Facebook page and you’ll automatically be entered into a weekly sweepstakes. You’ll also find great educational resources on the Facebook page as well as Nature’s Harvest® website to help you stay on track with the challenge.