Remember the other day in my Berry Blue Wave Pops post, I promised another frozen treat that you can make with a box of gelatin? Here it is. I’m calling it Berry Blue Granita, because after looking at definitions for about 20 different types of Icee-like treats, that seems to be the closest. I can’t really call it an Icee because that’s technically a trademarked name. It’s not quite as smooth as an Italian ice, but it’s also not quite like a shaved ice. So granita it is!
Berry Blue Granita Made with Jello
As I mentioned in my other post, you don’t have to use Jello brand gelatin. Any kind will do. You can also use this recipe to make any flavor that you prefer. I happen to love Berry Blue Jello, so that’s what I went with. The base recipe is the same as the ice pops.
- 1 box of Berry Blue Jello (3.0z size)
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 Cup Cold Water
- 1/2 cup sugar (or your favorite sweetener)
- Throw your Jello mix in a medium bowl and add the hot water. Stir until it dissolves.
- Add the sugar, dissolving it into the mix too.
- Add the cold water and stir, stir, stir.
- Transfer into a freezer-safe bowl or pan and stick in the freezer.
- About once every hour or 1.5 hours, take it out and mix it around. Use a fork and mash it up as you mix.
- It will be ready after about 5 hours. If you don’t eat all of it at once, return the rest to the freezer, but make sure you attack it with a fork every so often to keep it from getting gritty. Just give it a good mash/stir.
Make sure you stir it frequently, it really is the key to giving it a good texture. Also, don’t let it sit out of the freezer too long, otherwise it pretty much turns back to regular Jello. Kind of cool, actually. It’s like a science experiment!
Have you ever made granita or Italian Ice? I’d love to hear your recipe or favorite flavor!