Moving up and out is a rite of passage in America. Approximately 35.5 million people move every year in this country, whether due to a new job, new relationship, or just because they need a change of scenery. Both housewarming gifts and going away presents are customary as a sign of support and encouragement, but narrowing down good gift ideas for either can be a bit of a challenge. Whether you’re welcoming a new friend to your neighborhood or saying a bittersweet farewell to an old one, let’s take a look at some great housewarming and going away gift ideas.
Housewarming gifts are a great way to share the excitement that comes with purchasing a home of your own with your friend. There are two categories for housewarming presents: practical and fun. Let’s take a look at a few of both!
- Tool kit: Nothing is more practical and useful than a set of tools in a new living space. By containing everything you might need in one helpful case, your friends will never be digging through drawers for that screwdriver.
- Personalized cutting board: Kitchen gifts are very popular for housewarmings, as cooking is a way of christening your new house. From cutting boards with personal engravings to electric corkscrews (or even whole bottles of wine), your friend will think of you every time they set foot in their kitchen.
- Plants: Unless your friend is notorious for killing plants, a splash of nature in a new living space does wonders for the mood. Choose varieties that don’t require a lot of water to be on the safe side, such as succulents.
- Digital picture frames: Picture frames can take up a lot of space, especially when you can’t choose just one photo. Digital picture frames give you the ability to display multiple photos without taking up a lot of wall or table space.
Sometimes, your best friend isn’t simply moving down the street or across town. When the distance is more profound, you want your gift to be much more meaningful. Let’s take a look at some thoughtful and sweet going away presents.
- Dual time watch: If they’re moving to a new time zone, determining whether it’s a good time to call can require some serious mental math. Avoid the problem entirely by buying a watch that tells both of you what time it is in your respective areas.
- Box of dated letters: Write 12 letters to the person who’s leaving and place them in a box. Each envelope should have a date the letter can be opened over the next year; you can reminisce about the happy memories you two have shared and all the special things you’ll miss.
- Meal delivery kit: Getting settled in a new place is hard enough when you’re just down the street. When you’re far from home, it can feel impossible. With a meal delivery kit, you can help your friend or family member relax for the first few weeks so they can focus exclusively on unpacking. Shipping a meal yourself? A combination of insulated packaging and dry ice should keep your treats safe for up to 48 hours.
If you’re glancing at the calendar and realizing you have mere days to find a suitable gift, don’t worry; you’re not alone! Around 25% of the entire U.S. population waits until the last minute to purchase gifts. Now that you have a good range of ideas floating around in your head, you’ll be able to find that elusive perfect gift with little effort.
Good ideas, nice way to go about giving these gifts