Wondering what you can learn from the Basepaws cat DNA kit? I’m currently waiting on my cat’s results, but in the meantime, I thought I’d share a bit about what you can expect to find out about your own kitty!
Ever since we brought Alex the Fuzz in from outside (he was a feral kitten who lost his mama), I’ve been obsessed with trying to figure out what breed he is. Okay, obsessed is a bit of an exaggeration, but I am more curious about him than my other cats. I’m pretty sure they’re just your average American Shorthair, although Zoe may be a little Russian Blue as well.
Alex, though, looks unlike any cat we’ve ever had. In fact, he doesn’t even really look like the other ferals! I am convinced that he has a smidge of Maine Coon in him. Maybe that’s just wishful thinking, though. I’ve always wanted an MC cat!
Basepaws sent me a DNA kit to try out and I just sent it back in the other day, so it’s going to be a few weeks (8-10, actually) before I get the results. I’ll update this post when they come in, but for now, let’s check out some of the features of the cat DNA kit!
What Can Basepaws Cat DNA Kit Tell You?
1. Which domestic cat breeds he’s most similar to
Basepaws doesn’t say, “Oh, your cat is 95% Maine Coon and 5% Persian!” Rather, it gives you an idea of what breeds he’s most similar to based on his genetic composition.
If you look at the sample report, you’ll see that the fictional cat Koko is most similar to Siberian cats, Russian Blues, and Norwegian Forest cats. You’ll also find out which wild cats he’s most like!
Down in the detailed section of the report, you’ll learn fun facts about the breeds, including their origins and personality traits.
2. His breed group
If you’ve ever done a 23andMe test and got back results like “10.7% Eastern European,” you know what I mean by “groups.”
Basically, cat breeds fall into three different groupings: Western, Eastern, and Hybrid. The assignment of your cat to a specific group is done by looking at the similarities to other cat breeds that fall into those groups.
In other words, the DNA doesn’t say “he’s an Eastern cat,” but it says, “He’s most like these cats, which are Eastern cats.” Does that make sense?
3. His chromosome map
While the chromosome map won’t mean much to those of us who aren’t geneticists, it’s still neat to see.
FYI, if you’re interested in learning more about each gene, the Feline Genetics lab at the University of Missouri can help you make some sense of it.
Although you may need to keep a second browser tab open to interpret their gene interpretations!
4. Genetic predispositions based on similar breeds
Along with the origins and personality traits found in your cat’s similar breeds, you’ll also get an overview of his potential genetic predispositions. It’s super duper important to keep in mind that these results in no way mean that your cat will or won’t get a specific disease.
Like breed groups, they’re based on similar breeds and not your cat’s actual genetics. A genetic report should never replace an actual medical professional. That goes for both humans and pets!
5. Ongoing updates as we learn more about cat genetics
One of the best things about Basepaws is that it’s not a “one and done” deal. While other pet DNA kits tell you only what is known now and make you pay to retest for updates, Basepaws adds new information to your existing report as it becomes available. I again compare it to 23andMe. I did my DNA test a couple of years ago and still get updates every time they learn something new!
Like I said, I’m still waiting on my cat’s DNA results, and I’ll update this post quite a bit once they come in. I just wanted to get Basepaws on your radar and let you know what’s coming!
In the meantime, head to the Basepaws website to buy your kit! You can also find it on Amazon.
- MOST ADVANCED CAT DNA TEST - The Basepaws Breed + Health Cat DNA Test gives you answers specific to your cat’s breed composition, traits, and health. Learning more about their unique needs, personality, genetic predispositions, and dental health can help you make proactive choices that support your cat’s health so they live a longer, happier life. Most advanced and comprehensive cat DNA test on the market. As seen on Shark Tank and Ellen’s List.
- BREED AND TRAIT INSIGHTS - Discover your cat's unique breed composition. Your cat’s DNA report provides analysis of your cat in relation to 21 cat breeds, along with 50 trait markers, a chromosome map, and a Wild Cat Index. With insights from the report, you can take the guesswork out of your at-home care routine and understand the unique needs of your cat.
- COMMON DISEASE SCREENING - Get peace of mind with the screening of 65 health markers associated with 40 diseases for which your cat may be genetically predisposed. Early detection helps you and your veterinarian get ahead of diseases before they become life-threatening. Cats are experts at hiding illness. This DNA test can help you better understand your cat’s current state of health and potentially avoid costly emergency visits to your veterinarian
- FREE DENTAL HEALTH REPORT - Around 50-90% of all adult cats have dental health issues. Get a FREE Dental Health report on your cat’s risk for periodontal disease, bad breath, and tooth resorption with personalized at-home dental care recommendations. These can help you work with a veterinarian to limit costly dental procedures like tooth extractions and implement preventative care to safeguard against diabetes, chronic kidney and heart disease, and other conditions linked to dental health
- EASY, FAST, IMPACTFUL - Receive results in just 4-6 weeks! Simply swab your cat’s cheek and send your sample back to the U.S.–based Basepaws laboratory. Your report is a "living" document and will update as Basepaws grows its feline genomics database. When you and your cat join the Basepaws Cat Community, you can feel good knowing that a simple swab of their cheek contributes to scientific advancements that improve the lives of ALL cats
Did you do the Basepaws DNA test on your cat? I’d love to hear about your results!
Last update on 2021-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API