I’ve had major wanderlust lately, yet no money to satisfy the urge to get away, so I spend a lot of time planning pretend vacations in my head. Hey, if I win the lottery, at least I’m ahead of the game, right? I’ll have at least a dozen potential destinations already researched and mapped out. I want to see so many places, so it was hard to narrow it down to just ten, but I thought “500 places I want to see” would be a little overwhelming! These are in no particular order. If you currently live, have lived, or have visited any of these places, I’d love to hear about it!
1. Australia This is definitely high up on my list, as it just looks like an amazing place to visit. They have the coolest animals there. I have friends who live in that part of the world, and apparently kangaroos are considered a bit of a nuisance, kind of like the white-tailed deer is in my area. Still, I’ve never seen one outside a zoo, so I think I’d find them amusing!
2. Ireland- My dad was mostly Irish (and a little English, but he didn’t like to admit that), so I’ve always dreamed of heading to the Emerald Isle.
3. Machu Picchu, in Peru I find ancient civilizations fascinating, and Machu Picchu is definitely one of the coolest things the Incas built. My little brother is heading to Peru soon for a wedding, and I asked him to just stick the whole thing in his backpack and bring it home for me. Think it will fit in my backyard?
4. Romania- I’m not sure why I’ve always wanted to visit here, but it’s been on my list since I was a teenager. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I read Dracula like 10 times during my teen years.
5. The Grand Canyon I think everyone should see this giant crater at least once in their lives.
6. The Galapagos Islands They have giant turtles. Enough said.
7. Venice, Italy- I would love to see many parts of Italy, actually, but Venice has always seemed like a really cool place to visit. I’m not sure I could handle the gondolas though, as small boats make me really nervous!
8. Greece I’ve always loved Greek mythology and would be thrilled to see where it all started. Greece looks absolutely stunning in pictures, so it would be cool to see if it’s really that amazing in real life.
9. Amsterdam Not for the reasons that most people want to visit, either. It just looks really pretty! Honestly!
10. Hawaii- Blue water, rumbling volcanoes, and Alex O’Loughlin running around shirtless? I’m so there!