Before you hit the highway for your next road trip, make sure you pack these essentials! From hand sanitizers that smell delightful to incredible laundry detergent that won’t brutalize your delicate skin and more, these amazing products will make your journey healthier, happier, and far less stinky!
*FYI, I received complementary samples of the products below so I could try them out to make sure they’re worth recommending. This post also contains affiliate links. All opinions are my own.
Road Trip Essentials for a Healthier, Happier and Far Less Stinky Journey!
Given the current state of the world, more and more families are opting for road trip vacations rather than flying to their destinations. Great idea in theory, but let’s be honest- we can all get a little rank after sitting in the car for hours on end. Stock up on these great essentials before you go and you’ll eliminate at least a few of the ickier problems.
Oh, and even if you aren’t planning to hit the road anytime soon, keep reading. I haven’t gone farther than 3 miles from my home in months, and I still use all of these at least once a week!
Oh, and if you’re curious, the little Sloth pouch that I used for the picture background came from Redbubble. 🙂 I wanted to use something that showed how everything can easily fit into your “go bag.”
1. Zum Mist Spray for Neutralizing Stinky Cars, Rooms and People
Zum Mist is a great-smelling spray that doubles as both a room AND a human freshener, making it perfect for dealing with stinky fellow passengers and icky-smelling hotel rooms. I only got to try this one out for about five minutes before my son said, “Oh, new room spray! Can I have it?” Don’t ask…Anyway, it’s the only one I couldn’t get a personal picture of, because it’s currently in my sleeping teenager’s room. Given the sheer mess in there, it would take an hour to find it again.
Thankfully, unlike many of the other room sprays I’ve bought over the years that he subsequently immediately confiscated, I don’t really have to worry about him going overboard and asphyxiating all of us with Zum. Every single ingredient is all-natural, right down to the essential oils that make it smell so lovely.
We tried the Sandalwood Citrus. The citrus notes perfectly balance out the richer, earthier sandalwood. Like their Sea Salt laundry soap below, it’s a very neutral scent, not too overpowering or musky, but also not too citrus-fruity.
Indigo Wild sells their Zum Mists on their website and through Amazon (see cute little box below for more details). It’s super affordable, too!
- Room and Body Spray: Spritz positive vibes and good smells on your body and clothes or in your closet, car, or bathroom
- Sandalwood and Citrus: Amp up your daily routine with the zesty spice of sandalwood and citrus
- Simple Ingredients: Made with essential oils, water, and glycerin
- What We're Made Of: Zum products are made with high-quality, vegetarian ingredients
- About Us: Made in small batches; aromatherapy products from people for people
2. Pack Less and Wash Clothes as You Go with Zum Clean Laundry Soap
If you’ll be away from home for a while – or just want to save room in your luggage by packing light- at some point you’ll have to do laundry. My son has sensitive skin, so I try to avoid perfumed “detergents” on his laundry. Zum isn’t a detergent, though, it’s actually a laundry soap. It’s also not “perfumed.” The amazing scent (we tried Sea Salt) is all-natural, from essential oils. The scent fills my entire laundry room, which doubles as my cat’s litter box room so HUGE thank you to Zum for taking care of that stinky situation! Plus, the Sea Salt scent is very neutral, so my son doesn’t smell like flowers yet I don’t smell like some sort of musk. 🙂
As Zum says, their soap is “completely free of parabens,phosphates, phthalates,petroleum by-products,sulfates,and anything else that gives you a hangover.” With only four completely pronounceable ingredients (coconut oil, essential oils, baking soda, and vegetable glycerin), it’s gentle on your skin but tough enough to remove dirt and grime from your clothes. Since it’s highly concentrated, a very little bit goes a long way. One 32-oz bottle cleans 32 loads (depending on the size of a load, of course), and it works in standard and HE washing machines.
- Natural, low sudsing, highly concentrated soap
- Washes 16 loads in top-loading machines and 32 loads in high-efficiency machines
- No parabens, phosphates, petrochemicals, cocamidopropyl betain or sulfates
3. Guru Nanda Hand Sanitizers (with 70% Alcohol to Zap Nasty Germs)
I can’t even tell you how excited I was to get this one in the mail. First, even though hand sanitizers are finally starting to make a come-back in my area, supplies are limited. Plus, they’re stinky. I’ve used a lot of Guru Nanda products in the past- some from reviews and some I bought on my own, so I already know that I like the brand.
Before I said “oh yes, I want to try this one,” though, I quickly looked at the ingredients. As you know, the CDC recommends hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Guru Nanda’ s has 70%, along lavender essential oil. That EO doesn’t just make it smell better, it’s also excellent for your skin. So, even with the higher alcohol content, my hands don’t feel nearly as dry after using this.
Plus,Guru Nanda’s hand sanitizers are made in the U.S. in an “FDA regulated cGMP certified facility.” I also double-checked, and they’re NOT on the list of recalled sanitizers. The only potential drawback- they sell them in 12 packs. So, you can’t buy just one. On the plus side, you’ll have plenty to set aside for when the next shortage hits.
You can find these on Amazon or buy directly through them for this one. Keep in mind that you’ll have to pay shipping if you order through their website where on Amazon, that’s already factored into the price, hence the $10 difference.
- HAND SANITIZER WITH PURE LAVENDER OIL: It has true lavender essential oil that nourishes and moisturizes your skin. This sanitizer is free from harsh chemicals and safe for kids.
- HIGH QUALITY PRODUCT: This product is produced in a regulated cGMP certified facility to deliver the best quality to our customers.
- MOISTURIZING EFFECT: The coconut oil ensures that your hands don't feel rough after use. Also, enjoy the relaxing aroma of lavender essential oil.
- CONVENIENT TRAVEL FRIENDLY PACK: It comes in a small size bottle with a cap to cover the spray pump to prevent any leakage. This sanitizer spray comes handy to clean your hands when no soap or water is available.
- 100% PURE AND NATURAL: Our products are 100% pure, natural and ethically sourced. We are committed to providing the highest quality products to our customers, to promote health and wellness with natural ingredients.
4. Aú Natural Skinfood On The Go Brush
Banish shiny oily skin on the road, at your destination, and everywhere in between while also protecting your face from the elements, with Au Natural Skinfood On the Go Brush On Foundation. The oil-free mineral powder foundation with broad spectrum SPF 25 sunscreen is non comedogenic, so it won’t clog up your pores.
It comes in three shades- Light, Medium and Dark. I know that doesn’t sound like a very wide range, but I have super fair skin and used both the light and medium. It blends in very well, basically neutralizing redness as well as that oily sheen you get from sitting in a house without AC all day without looking cakey.
I also feel like it really helps create a barrier between my skin and my face mask. I use these wonderful cloth face masks that I bought from a friend on Etsy. While they’re so much comfier than the disposable ones, I still get sweaty under them (although not nearly as bad as I got with the disposable ones I tried). The Au Natural Skinfood On the Go Brush On Foundation didn’t stop me from sweating, obviously, but it minimized the rashy feeling I usually get after a long shopping trip.
Find it on their website here, or on Amazon below.
- MINERAL POWDER TINTED SUNSCREEN WITH SPF 25 (.21 oz): Our mineral powder sunscreen provides effective protection, covers imperfections, and reduces redness, whilst taking care of sensitive skin. Use attached brush to apply in the morning, and easily touch up throughout the day. Available in three different shades to suit all skin tones (light, medium, and dark). Please note: Powder may settle during transit.
- INSTANT, ON THE GO PROTECTION: Not only does it provide ongoing protection from sun damage, it also improves the appearance of the skin thanks to natural, New Zealand sourced ingredients. Our mineral powder sunscreen is combined with a broad spectrum SPF 25 tested to the latest 2018 NZ/AUS Standard in vivo ISO 24444 and uses natural sunblock ingredient Titanium Dioxide in non-nano particles.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: On The Go powder sunscreen is paraben, dye, talc and fragrance free, with protective properties to help maintain the skin’s natural barrier function. It contains soothing magnesium and it is oil free, non-comedogenic and petroleum jelly free. Ideal for sensitive skin.
- GOOD FOR ALL SKIN TYPES: Au Natural Skinfood embraces the power of nature to repair and strengthen your skin, keeping its natural defenses in check. Used routinely over time, Au Natural Skinfood will improve your skin’s health, leading to stronger and better-looking skin. Just brush on and go!
- SKINFOOD WITH INTEGRITY: We use natural ingredients from New Zealand, which are rigorously tested to ensure their efficacy on the skin, that they are ethically sourced and grown, and that they deliver the best results naturally. Our endorsements include the New Zealand Vegetarian Society, Vegan Certified, BPA Free, Cruelty Free, Paraben Free, and Pregnancy Safe.
5. Soothe Road-Weary Eyes with Starry Eyes from Popmask
Whether your eyes are weary from staring at a road or a screen all day, This self heating eye mask from Popmask is exactly what they need. Just pop one out of its package plop it on your eyes, and wait about 30 seconds for the “ahhh” feeling to set in. That’s about how long it takes for the iron powder inside to react to the oxygen in the air. Kick back for 20 minutes (or longer) and enjoy the amazingly soothing sensation.
Even if you’re not planning on traveling any time soon, these are great to use at the end of a work day. I stare at a computer screen all day long and my eyes practically beg for a break. They really help you destress!
The masks are fragrance-free and made from non-woven cotton. All of the ingredients inside of it are naturally occurring. Popmask sells them on their website in 5-pack boxes in both unscented and rose scent. You can also find them on Amazon (below) and in CVS stores.
- Grabbing time to relax seems almost impossible these days, so we’ve come up with a little something for all you doers and go-getters - Starry Eyes, the ultimate heated eye mask.
- The Starry Eyes mask is your ‘calm in a pouch’, giving you some well earned relaxation time.
- This comforting mask starts warming in 30 seconds and the soothing heat lasts for 20 minutes or more.
- The warming, relaxing mask will sooth your tired eyes allowing you to lie back, relax, dose, daydream, meditate or just unplug from life!
- The perfect size to carry with you when traveling to help you unwind from a long, stressfull and busy day.
6. Popbands Hair Ties- The Kinder, Gentler Way to Keep Hair Out of Your Face
This one was a nice extra surprise in my Popmask package, and I’m just so in love with them. I’ve been wanting to try hair ties like these for a while, but never bought them because I was afraid they wouldn’t work well in my thick hair. Not only do they work fabulously, but they don’t pinch or pull like so many other scrunchies and hair bands do. Plus, they’re super cute! You can even wear them on your wrist as a bracelet, so you’re never stuck without a way to get your hair out of your face.
I did see a few reviews on Amazon that said they slide out of your hair, and I wanted to address that, because I really feel like these are a 5-star product. First, literally every single hair band, tie, scrunchie, etc slides out of my hair as the day goes on. I think the only thing that would actually stay put non-stop is duct tape. Ouch, no thanks! I just readjust it every so often and it’s fine. A little slippage (and no more so than any other band) is totally worth it to not feel like something is ripping at my skull all day, in my opinion.
Popband London sells them on their website, but they ship from overseas. While their shipping fees are super reasonable, with how things are right now you may be better off just ordering through Popband’s Amazon storefront.
- This versatile yet durable hair tie transistions seamlessly from an exercise class to a night out while keeping hair securely in place
- No need to worry about pulling or damaging your hair when removing thanks to our wider and softer band
- Hold your hair up with these colorful ties during the day, and let it down for the evening, Our ties are made to leaves no hair crease even after long hours of wear
- Popband Hair Ties are stylish, colorful and comfortable enough to double as a bracelet so you will always have one available for use, no matter the time of day or night
- Popbands are the fashion accessories you won't be able to resist
7. MyCHELLE Dermaceutials Protects Your Skin Without Harming the Ocean
If you’re planning to spend any time at the beach during your trip, make sure you grab some MyCHELLE sunscreen. Of course, it’s a good idea to wear sunscreen year-round even if you aren’t at the beach, but I particularly love the fact that MyCHELLE’s line is reef-friendly. The mineral-based SPF sun screen is enriched with antioxidant fortified ingredients. So not only does it help prevent nasty sunburns (and the myriad of problems that come along with one), but it’s actually nourishing for your skin, too.
Plus, MyCHELLE is the only sun care brand to earn the Clean Label Project(R) Certification this year. The brand is incredibly dedicated to environmentally friendly and ethical products. Every product in every one of their lines are free of parabens, petroleum, phthalates, silicones, sulfates, ureas, and artificial fragrances and colors. The sun care line was also tested for contaminants that aren’t even regulated by the FDA.
I tried out the Protect Replenishing Solar Defense Body Lotion and the Sun Shield Liquid SPF 50. Both have a very (very very) light fragrance that comes from the natural ingredients themselves, like shea and coconut oil. They’re not at all greasy. The Body lotion is thick, but it absorbs very quickly. It’s waterproof, so it needs a little more “heft” to it. Same with the Sun Shield Liquid, except it’s a bit lighter overall.
I really just love how dedicated this brand is to creating ethical and earth-friendly products that actually work. Check out their full line of products on the MyCHELLE website. They’re also available on Amazon and Ulta.
- PROTECT YOUR SKIN: MyChelle’s Replenishing Solar Defense SPF 30 formula provides broad-spectrum sun protection. It keeps your skin healthier and reduces the appearance of sun damage.
- USE IT DAILY: Our Solar Defense Cream is formulated with Zinc Oxide to provide clear, mineral-based UVA and UVB protection. This sunscreen will help to prevent premature aging and hyperpigmentation. This replenishing protector is an anti-wrinkle, anti-dark spot, anti-sagging product that should be used daily.
- FIGHT SIGNS OF AGING: This Solar Defense Cream contains Red Algae Extract, hydrating Kukui and Macadamia Nut oils that blend to restore moisture balance and reduce visible lines with Titanium Dioxide-free option.
- USAGE DIRECTIONS: It takes approximately 15 minutes for your skin to absorb the sunscreen and protect you. Waiting until you are in the sun can leave your skin unprotected and susceptible to burns. Apply this generously to your face and body before going outdoors.
- SAFER: Our sun protection is vegan, reef SAFER and biodegradable. This is made without GMO, gluten, parabens, petroleum, phthalates, silicones, sulfates, ureas, artificial fragrances and artificial colors.
8. Soothe Aching Muscles with Extract Labs CBD Muscle Cream
While this one is a bit pricier than the other road trip essentials, it’s absolutely worth it. This section is also going to be a bit longer than the others, because I feel like you need to know more about CBD oil products to make an informed decisions. Plus, there are a few things that I really want to point out that I really love about the company.
If you’re a regular reader, you know that I’m on a journey to find all the best CBD products for everything from anxiety to my chronic back pain. Last week, I shared my favorite edible form of CBD oil. When it comes to topical CBD cream, though, Extract Labs Muscle Cream skyrocketed to #1 on my list. (They do make edible tinctures and other forms of CBD oil products, but I can only speak about this one in particular).
The very generously sized tin (2.8 oz is a lot bigger than it sounds) holds 1500 full spectrum CBD whipped together with Shea butter, menthol, Jojoba, Beeswax, Arnica, Rosemary and Lavender- all certified organic. The combination soothes, cools, and relieves aching joints and muscles. I’ve used it on everything from my back to my shoulders with great success, but its a total rock-star when it comes to soothing my neck pain (and the headaches that result from it).
Vet-Owned Business with Major Discounts for Veterans, First Responders, and more
The CBD itself comes from Boulder, Colorado, and the company itself was founded by combat veteran Craig Henderson. A very large chunk of my family served in the military, so supporting vets is very important to me. Henderson really took supporting other veterans like himself to whole new levels. Extract Labs offers a 50% discount (not a typo, a full half-off discount) to the following qualified people:
- Veterans & Active Military
- First Responders (EMT/EMS, Firefighters, Law Enforcement)
- Healthcare Workers
- People with disabilities (if you’re not actually ON disability, you can send in a letter from your doctor)Low-income people
If you’re one of the above, visit this section of their website to learn what forms of proof they accept (nothing terribly crazy) and to fill out an application for their discount program.
I literally almost cried when I read that, because it’s just so incredibly generous. You do have to apply and there are caps (up to $400 a month savings, but wow, that’s amazing), but they make the process very easy. Whenever I look at CBD oils- or any company for that matter- I always look at what makes them stand out aside from ingredients, and this is truly a “stand out” program.
The muscle cream comes in 500mg and 1000mg formulas. Find them, along with a huge variety of other CBD products, on Extract Lab’s website. If you sign up for their newsletter, you’ll get 15% off your first order.
Phew, that all ended up being a lot longer than I thought it would be! Please don’t think that how much I had to say about one brand versus another is any reflection on how much I loved them. Every one of these products is getting plenty of use in my home, purse, and car right now.
Last update on 2020-10-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API