Get ready to unleash your creativity and make your space merry and bright with these 10 easy-to-make Christmas decorations. From charming ornaments to twinkling centerpieces, each project is designed to bring joy and warmth to your celebrations. Let’s dive in!
Easy DIY Christmas Decorations
Can you believe it’s almost the holiday season already? This year, we have a kitten for the first time in 8 years, and she is a total Chaos Cat. I’m afraid to use any of our traditional decorations because a lot of them are older and very breakable. So I’m making decorations instead! That way, if she does manage to destroy them (and trust me, she will) at least she won’t break something that means a lot to us.
Here are the ideas I’ve come up with so far. I hope they help get you in the holiday spirit (and maybe come up with some great decor ideas that your own Chaos Cat can’t destroy)!
Just one last note- This post includes affiliate links. If you buy anything through them, I’ll get a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
1. Handcrafted Ornament Wreath
This Handcrafted Ornament Wreath is a brilliant and colorful addition that transforms simple Christmas ball ornaments into a stunning wreath that’ll dazzle your guests and add a festive flair to your home.
- Various Christmas ball ornaments (I like these shatterproof ornaments)
- Wire wreath frame
- Hot glue gun
- Ribbon for hanging
- Arrange the ornaments by color or size.
- Hot glue each ornament onto the wire wreath frame.
- Make sure you evenly distribution them and cover any visible gaps.
- Attach a festive ribbon for hanging.
2. Mason Jar Snow Globes
Prepare to add a sprinkle of holiday magic to your home with this next DIY wonder – the Mason Jar Snow Globes. These delightful creations turn ordinary Mason jars into whimsical winter scenes, creating charming decorations that capture the essence of the season.
- Mason jars
- Miniature holiday figures or teensy pine trees
- Fake snow or glitter
- Waterproof glue (like Gorilla Glue)
- Ribbon or twine
- Glue the figurines to the inside of the Mason jar lid.
- Fill the jar with fake snow or glitter.
- Screw on the lid tightly.
- Tie a ribbon or twine around the jar for an extra festive touch.
3. Festive Pinecone Garland
This Festive Pinecone Garland is an easy-to-make project that brings a rustic touch to your holiday home. Plus, it’s a super cheap Christmas craft if you happen to live in an area with plenty of pine trees (like the Poconos!)
- Pinecones (if you don’t have any in your area, you can grab them on Amazon)
- Acrylic paint (green, red, and gold)
- String or twine
- Paint the tips of the pinecones with festive colors, leave them natural, or just “dust” the tips with a snowy white. Your choice!
- If you do pain them, allow them to dry completely.
- String the pinecones onto the twine, leaving space between each.
- Hang the garland across your fireplace or doorway.
4. Cinnamon Stick Candle Holders
Want to make your house smell like Christmas even if you don’t have a real tree? Try these DIY Cinnamon Stick Candle Holders! Transform simple glass candle holders into aromatic masterpieces by adorning them with the spicy allure of cinnamon sticks. This project not only adds a cozy glow to your space but also infuses the air with the delightful fragrance of the season.
- Glue cinnamon sticks around the outside of the glass holder.
- Allow the glue to dry completely.
- Place your favorite holiday-scented candle inside.
5. DIY Christmas Stockings
Get ready to hang the stockings with care and a touch of DIY flair! These DIY Christmas Stockings are a perfect weekend craft for kids to make their own personalized holiday stockings.
- Felt fabric
- Fabric glue or sewing kit
- Holiday-themed embellishments (these are kind of cute!)
- Ribbon for hanging
- Cut out stocking shapes from the felt.
- Glue or sew the edges together.
- Decorate with festive embellishments.
- Attach a ribbon for hanging.
6. Snowflake Window Clings
Transform your windows into a winter wonderland with these DIY Snowflake Window Clings! This simple project lets you create unique snowflake designs using puffy paint, bringing the magic of a snowy day indoors without the chill.
- Puffy paint (white or silver)
- Wax paper
- Snowflake templates (Like these free printable snowflake templates from FirstPalette )
- Trace or draw snowflake patterns on the wax paper.
- Use puffy paint to fill in the designs.
- Allow the paint to dry completely.
- Peel the snowflakes off and stick them to your windows. You can also string them up and hang them pretty much anywhere!
7. Christmas Tree Centerpiece
Elevate your holiday decor with this easy DIY Christmas Tree Centerpiece – a festive and eye-catching addition to your table! Using a Styrofoam cone as the base, wrap it in yarn or fabric and adorn it with miniature ornaments. Follow along with the video tutorial below from Andrea Peacock DIY, or check out my directions.
- Wrap the Styrofoam cone with yarn or green fabric (depending on what color you want to make your trees)
- Glue miniature ornaments onto the cone.
- Top with a small star or ribbon bow.
8. Rustic Burlap Table Runner
Infuse your holiday table with rustic charm using a DIY Rustic Burlap Table Runner! This easy-to-make project allows you to customize your dining space with a touch of natural elegance. With painter’s tape, burlap fabric, and a few simple tools, you can create a unique table runner that sets the stage for a cozy and inviting holiday meal. Follow our step-by-step guide to add a warm, handmade touch to your festive gatherings.
- Burlap fabric
- Fabric paint or stencils
- Painter’s tape
- Sponge brushes
- Cut the burlap to the desired length for your table.
- Use painter’s tape to create festive patterns.
- Dab paint onto the burlap using sponge brushes.
- Allow the paint to dry before setting your table.
9. Holiday Greeting Card Display
Turn your holiday well-wishes into a decorative display with this DIY Holiday Greeting Card Display! Using just string, clothespins, and your collection of festive cards, this project transforms any space into a heartwarming showcase of holiday cheer. Follow our easy steps to create a dynamic and ever-changing exhibit that celebrates the warmth and joy of the season, making your home a festive haven for well-wishes from family and friends.
- String or jute twine
- Greeting cards or festive prints
- String the twine across a wall or fireplace.
- Use clothespins to attach holiday cards or prints.
- Rearrange as you receive more cards throughout the season.
10. Upcycled Wine Cork Ornaments
Uncork your creativity with DIY Upcycled Wine Cork Ornaments! This eco-friendly project transforms discarded corks into charming holiday decorations with a touch of rustic charm. By adding a splash of craft paint and a dash of festive flair, you can create unique ornaments that not only bring a winery vibe to your tree but also contribute to a sustainable and stylish holiday season.
- Wine corks
- Craft paint (optional)
- Small eye screws
- Ribbon for hanging
- Paint the wine corks in festive colors, or leave them as is for a more rustic look.
- Screw an eye screw into the top of each cork.
- Attach a red or green ribbon for hanging.
These handmade Christmas decorations will not only add a personal touch to your space but also create lasting memories for years to come. Wishing you a joyous and crafty holiday season!